View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Is he responsive to you during these episodes?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by MrsSB View Post
Every so often, about three times in the last four months, Ben, our collie cross, has suddenly started running around the house with his Tongue rapidly shooting in and out of his mouth. He wont take a drink during these episodes and if we let him outside he appears desperate to eat grass, leaves, etc. It appears he is trying to make himself vomit, though he never has actually vomited. Last night he just went crazy like this and in the end I suggested we just hold onto him until he settled, which he did after about ten minutes.

It seems to me that he may have fur stuck in his throat which causes this behaviour as at least the last couple of times he has been washing himself before it happens.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of behaviour and any suggestions as to how best to deal with it? We have only had him four months and haven't come across anything like this before.
Hi MrsSB have you noticed if Ben's tummy makes a noise during these episodes, if you put your hands on his flanks can you feel his tummy moving.

I wouldn't try to physically restrain him when the episodes happen. You say it happens when he has been grooming himself, I would make sure he has a good brushing every day to remove loose hairs and if you see him washing himself excessively I would distract him. Also make sure he has things to lick and chew , a kong is good for this .

I still think a vet check is a good idea to make sure Ben has no problems with his mouth and throat.

I would also make a note on the calender detailing the episodes to see if there is any pattern.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2