View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Thats a good thing that she'll fill out as she really does look like a whippet! Its not coz she doesn't eat enough either, she loves her food! Mind you when I'm comparing her to Tara and Tara is the size of a fat lab! Probably why Blue is so small looking!!!!!! She's even got spots on her tail - loads! No patches anywhere- she really is gorgeous, and she loves making me happy so I'm hoping she'll be a bit better this time round!

I spent a fortune on the girlies today, Blue has been getting cold on her road walks at the mo, so I bought her a coat to keep her warm and dry - she looks so cute!!!!! She seemed happier today on her walk anyway!

Lottie, does Takara pull on her lead still? If so, does she pull in the ring?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Takara doesn't pull on her lead anymore but we're not due at another show until May (just as well as she's been out of the ring since the beginning of December and her foot's still not right!)

However, I can tell you now that she would pull at a show.
When we've been before, she's pulled me all around the benching area and at the side of the ring but the moment we get in the ring, she's good as gold (well apart from wiggling under the ring into a ring full of French bulldogs!) as she knows it's time to work!

Takara had to have a coat when she was a bit younger than Blue, just make sure you take it off her if she's offlead running and if it's not waterproof, you need a waterproof one for walking in the rain because she really will get cold if it seeps through her coat!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Blue's is like a wax jacket, and its ok in the rain I took it off her yesterday when she had a play with a new little friend which was cool! I'm so hoping that she'll behave herself at ringcraft again! lol! S long as we don't see any rotties - she loves her rotties! She'll do a Takara with the bulldogs!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2007, 08:08 PM
As the others have said its certainly not too late,We entered Alfie in a local show first at 20 mths (due to me being ill and in hospital when he was younger,although we'd always practice at home) and he won loads of classes but the big surprise was the following month, we had entered a 'bigger show'... The Hound club of East Anglia.

It was his first proper Beagle class,I couldn't find the right show lead at the lead stall so went in with a small leather brown one we had and i was so embarrassed there were all these beautiful Beagles to compete against, i also get very nervous and handled him accordingly but was very pleased with him as it was his first time in a 'big ring' and he loved it .
WE WON first 'Special Yearling' !!!!! As we left the ring the judge said to me quite sternly 'get that dog a show lead' ..OH was rushing around trying to buy one...and some kind soul came over and said "here take mine for the challenge"
We went on to win 'BEST OF BREED BEAGLE' and went through to best in show !!!! Although we didn't place in that he also got a VHC with my son for JH,it was quite a day for us all !!!
I'll never forget the kindness and interest fellow exhibitors showed us,we learnt such alot and best of all... it was fun It never too late !!!

Alfies first critique (Note the nervous bit lol !!)
SPECIAL YEARLING 5 (1 Abs)
1. Baker’s Barney the Brave, a true novice combination, only at their second show, despite the hound being 21 months old. Although being well up to size, he is beautifully balanced, excellent neck into well laid shoulders, good spring of rib, good set on, once he and his very nervous handler settled down he moved with purpose and is parallel fore and aft. They both settled even more for the challenge, and hence they went BOB. I wish them every success in the future.
2. Lee’s Enchace Jasmine.
3. Yorke’s Charterwood Vita at Shelbydo
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Awww Tink thats fantastic! Congratulations! I think i'll be shaking like a leaf if I ever manage to get her into a show ring!!!! Hee hee! He sounds like a beauty do you have any pics?
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
Awww Tink thats fantastic! Congratulations! I think i'll be shaking like a leaf if I ever manage to get her into a show ring!!!! Hee hee! He sounds like a beauty do you have any pics?
To be honest i always get nervous and it does show with my handling although its coming on slowly and Alfie enjoys it soooo much,its a great day out for him,I have only ever done Open shows as i'm far too scared to do a Champ show although i have promised myself we'll do the East of england champ show this year I need to stop being such a chicken
I have loads of pics of the day

Winning 1st in Special yearling (note the wrong lead!)

After winning BOB (With his newly purchased show lead !)

My little boy after getting their VHC (i was so proud of him)

Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 01:13 PM
WOW fantastic photos!!!!!!!! U should have more confidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're doing so well, go to the champ shows!!!!!!!!!!!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I have my beautiful baby dally, who is nearly 10 months now. When she was a lot younger I took her to ringcraft but she didn't get on with it very well & then I went into hospital etc and didn't get into the swing of going again! I would like to try and take her again, but have I left it too long now to try? I'm so proud of her and I'd love to show her off!

She might be a little bit on the small side though - she's very petite and sleek, I think she's the breed standard 56cm, but I'm not 100% sure as she won't stand still long enough for me to check hee hee!

Thanks everyone!
No 10 months is not old to start showing, I will be showing a friend's bull terrier who is 14 month now and who will be about 16 to 17 months before he sees the ring so go for it.
Just remember that its a fun day out and if you do well great and if not there is always the next show!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
To be honest i always get nervous and it does show with my handling although its coming on slowly and Alfie enjoys it soooo much,its a great day out for him,I have only ever done Open shows as i'm far too scared to do a Champ show although i have promised myself we'll do the East of england champ show this year I need to stop being such a chicken
I have loads of pics of the day

Winning 1st in Special yearling (note the wrong lead!)

After winning BOB (With his newly purchased show lead !)

My little boy after getting their VHC (i was so proud of him)

Hi Tink,
I still get nervous when it comes to big shows and I probally will for the rest of my dog showing career. But I have never let that stop me. give it a go
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I've got to wait a bit, Blue has kennel cough and I want to wait a few weeks to be sure, that its gone before I go anywhere near anyone else's doggies!!!! But I did email a lady and ask about ringcraft classes and she said to go along whenever I want to will be doing that when my baby is better!!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >