Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Firstly a massive thank you again to those of you who were so helpful in the original thread I posted re my recall problems with Dexter.

You will probably remember that SMOKEY BEAR kindly offered me some advice and suggested ensuring Dex was good and hungry before heading to the park and attempting some recall.

So last night I fed him very early and then this morning, Dexter was distinctly unimpressed to get no brekkie....

Did he die

At the park I let him off leash -
there were also other dogs fairly nearby and people appearing from time to time a distance away.

Result - A BIG IMPROVEMENT

FAB

Dex came 8 out of 10 times that I recalled him - I was even able to recall him AWAY from hurtling over to someone who entered the field we were in!

FAB

I also managed to recall him away from the other dogs!

FAB

He still ignored me on two occasions so of course we have a lot of work to do to get things 100%. But I definitely noticed a difference and am rather relieved....!

What did you do when he ignored you?

I think it's also helped that over the past week I've taken him to the park and kept him on a Flexi leash and done lots and lots of recalls while he's on that.

Just wanted to let you know and say again thank you to all of you - SMOKEY BEAR if it sounds like I'm getting anything wrong still please do tell me!

Thanks
Great so if you took out 10 portions of food, he should have only got 8.

Thus tomorrow he will be a bit hungrier, and hopefully come back quicker (that is if you are ONLY feeding on recalls and not giving him a free meal this evening?)

If you ARE going to feed this evening, it should be a SMALL one, eg a quarter of what he normally gets.

FANTASTIC
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Woop woop for you and Dexter, Im still working on Rof's and his love of chasing and i know how hard it is.

Big woop for you both x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Great so if you took out 10 portions of food, he should have only got 8.

Thus tomorrow he will be a bit hungrier, and hopefully come back quicker (that is if you are ONLY feeding on recalls and not giving him a free meal this evening?)

If you ARE going to feed this evening, it should be a SMALL one, eg a quarter of what he normally gets.

FANTASTIC

Thanks SMOKEY BEAR

Yep - he's had a small meal this afternoon but nothing until we hit the park again tomorrow.

RE what I did when he did not recall.. this is what I'm not sure about:

I went over to him and put him back on the lead and walked him away until we were where I wanted us to be and where he had failed to come to. Then I let him OFF leash again.

Is that right? I figured better not to keep recalling as on those two occasions he was busy with other dogs and was not looking my way....?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Thanks SMOKEY BEAR

Yep - he's had a small meal this afternoon but nothing until we hit the park again tomorrow.

RE what I did when he did not recall.. this is what I'm not sure about:

I went over to him and put him back on the lead and walked him away until we were where I wanted us to be and where he had failed to come to. Then I let him OFF leash again.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON! NEVER repeat the recall cue, as you just teach the dog to IGNORE the first one.

Is that right? I figured better not to keep recalling as on those two occasions he was busy with other dogs and was not looking my way....?
I now award you:

TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I now award you:

LOL LOL LOL - thanks so much for all your advice SMOKEY BEAR, really appreciated
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Woooop! Well done. Go Dexter! That's brilliant, especially recalling him off of other dogs. Way to go. Keep us updated with the progress, this is a cause close to my heart and I want to know how you do it
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Really well done!! I am watching your recall threads so great that you are already seeing an improvement! x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Great to hear he's improved so much! Well done for all your hard work!
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Thats brilliant well done!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2011, 04:07 PM
THATS GREAT!!!

Well done!

You must be feeling great at that as I know youve been working hard since you got Dex.....

unimpressed to get no brekkie....

Did he die
LOL

PS; have you thought about a training blog?
I would 'tune in'
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 >