Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 10:30 PM

Fostering

hiya could anyone give me some links/info where i can find out more about fostering dogs and cats please?

not sure whether i will be getting involved.

I would just like to read up on it.

thanks alot
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi MistyBlue

I don't have any links for you, but a lot of rescue centres these days have websites... Try a google search in your area..
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 07:10 AM
here you go MB

I know Battersea is a bit far, but the page does tell you the criteria they have for fostering, so at least its a guide for you!

http://www.battersea.org.uk/get_invo...ing/index.html
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I would think lots of experience would be the main thing..
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi MB,

if you go to the Dog's Trust website follow the links to the Freedom Project. There is lots of info there.

But you need to have a bit of experience with dogs with problems because their dogs are all from homes where they have experienced domestic violence.

Saying that, they do match the dog to you and I had only had Bryan for a year when I started fostering.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
Hi MistyBlue

I don't have any links for you, but a lot of rescue centres these days have websites... Try a google search in your area..
hiya thanks! i googled them and come up wit ha few, i contacted the RSPCA in my area for more info

Originally Posted by MissE View Post
here you go MB

I know Battersea is a bit far, but the page does tell you the criteria they have for fostering, so at least its a guide for you!

http://www.battersea.org.uk/get_invo...ing/index.html
oo thanks will give me something to read over!

Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Hi MB,

if you go to the Dog's Trust website follow the links to the Freedom Project. There is lots of info there.

But you need to have a bit of experience with dogs with problems because their dogs are all from homes where they have experienced domestic violence.

Saying that, they do match the dog to you and I had only had Bryan for a year when I started fostering.
hiya well as i said i just want to read about it right now might be something to look into in the future!
i was on the RSCPA website in my area they need help with a litter of kittens and i have soo much experience with cats so hopefully i might help out with that if i can!

obviously id never take on and i dont think id ever be given something that i couldnt handle.

well at least i have a lot to read!

ETA just emailed all of my local cat rescues and phoned a few so hopefully they will get back to me

many thanks for answering my questions
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Let us know how it goes MB xxx
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Let us know how it goes MB xxx
I had a interview yesterday an and have been accepted by the cats protection league & the RSPCA in my area! *daNces*

I am going to get my first foster in about 4weeks as i want my cat neutered first & to settle into our new home!

she told me all about it and said id be great as i told her all about me etc. will just be cats for now as i have so much experience with them & ill cats who need looking after.

might go onto dogs as i help out this lady who has 2 GSDs shes writing a ref for me!
but for now i just want cats as i have well over 11years of experience with ill cats so i feel like i can do a good job!

so my foster will either be a cat who has had a operation and need medication, which im used to giving alot! or some kittens who need to be socialized ready for new homes!

i am so excited it will be so lovely to help out i can not wait!
my dad has told me not to get too attached but in my eyes i am helping them on there way to forever homes, they arent mine to keep!

so i will update you when i get my first foster in about 4weeks i hope! x

Thanks for all your help!