Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ciaobella
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2011, 09:33 PM

Started volunteering today..

I started volunteering today for a local rescue here who hold adoptions at Petsmart and of course there was one I fell in love with named Aiden. She was such a sweetheart, I was trying to get some basic training in while I was there.

She has been there since November although a volunteer who has been there since September is interested in taking her once they move out of their Apartment.

I agreed to come in a few times a week and help train a few dogs, because thats always a plus in adoption, so expect more pictures!

In the meantime here's Aiden:

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh, she is gorgeous! I cant believe she hasn't been snapped up yet! I hope she is soon, would be good if the volunteer adopts her
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2011, 10:03 PM
AS you are in the USA things may be a bit different as regards jobs in the pet care industry and well done for volunteering.
Here in the UK people are desperate for this type of work and we are currently having to turn away 15/20 applications a week and have been for several months. I wish I could employ them all but this just is not possible and it is upsetting having to turn them away.

Tumbleweed
Ciaobella
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh, she is gorgeous! I cant believe she hasn't been snapped up yet! I hope she is soon, would be good if the volunteer adopts her
I hope so too! It is hard to believe no one has picked her up yet, I hope sooner or later she gets a good home!

Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Before anything else good on you for volunteering but have you considered that by doing so you may be depriving someone who is looking for a paid job?
We are currently having to turn away 15/20 job applications a week for people
desperately looking to work in the pet care business.

Realspeed
Well I'm sorry to hear that but our shelter here (particularly that one) doesn't have the funds to pay every person whom is looking for a job. I was asked by the shelter because they can't afford pay anyone to train and socialize their dogs. I believe there maybe only 10? paid staff and everyone else is purely volunteer.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
She is lovely, I hope she finds a home very soon. Good luck with the volunteering, I am a volunteer walker at a local rescue. It is sad to see all the dogs who need homes but nice to be able to help them
Ciaobella
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
She is lovely, I hope she finds a home very soon. Good luck with the volunteering, I am a volunteer walker at a local rescue. It is sad to see all the dogs who need homes but nice to be able to help them
Thank you, and same to you! Be sure to show pictures around, rescue dogs are sure tresures!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:23 AM
They certainly are! Some of them you make more of a connection with than others and I always end up thinking 'If only'...........
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Aiden is gorgeous. Well done for volunteering. Very worthwhile. xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Aww Bless Lovely pictures Thanks for sharing x
Ciaobella
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
They certainly are! Some of them you make more of a connection with than others and I always end up thinking 'If only'...........
Most definitely! I'm starting to volunteer at the actual shelter and I have such an attraction to this "so ugly she's cute" pup named Curly! She has been there since 04' and if she can wait out another year I'd so take her