Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Do raw fed dogs smell more??

Someone said to me that dogs fed raw meat smell more "doggy" than dogs fed on kibble.
Has anyone found this?
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
no when mine were on raw even their poo didnt smell
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Mine both smell much better after being changed onto a raw diet. Infact Elroy has to be the best smelling dog ever. I swear, I love to bury my nose in his fur and sniff him. He's never bathed (unless rolled in something smelly) and nothing ever sprayed on him.

And yes, their poo, as well as being much less of it, it doesn't smell as offensive either.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:36 PM
...... no
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 08:38 AM
The total opposite, in my experience! The only element of raw that makes my two stink is lamb - but that's because they seem to have a mild intolerance or something. Small amounts are fine but if they have a big lamb bone, they'll be trumping all day. They were constantly windy on lamb kibble too though so that's not just a raw thing. Oh, and tripe breath if they've only just eaten a portion of tripe, but that's temporary!
Otherwise I'd say they're the best smelling dogs I've known! Even my housemate commented the other day on how they don't really smell doggy - well, this time of year we get eau de wet dog occasionally, but I have noticed that they're very neutral smelling dogs if you give them a sniff, whereas my mum's pup has quite a strong doggy odour (not unpleasant but noticable). My mum's just switching her to raw so I'll let you know if she gets smellier or not!
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Mine does still smell 'doggy' but it is infinitely less pungent and in fact, hardly noticeable. When he was fed on kibble you could smell him in the house, but not any more. He does get the smell of certain foods on him (sardine for breakfast the other day, picked up by my wife that evening!) but that is no different to if I had eaten it myself.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I actually believe the complete opposite
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I haven't noticed any difference to their smell, not that they were smelly before. Their coats are better, their teeth cleaner and meals times are a WOW!! But some of their poos really stink now. But that is because decomposing meat smells worse that decomposing cereal. Smelly poos are not a problem as far as I'm concerned.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I dont think my dogs smell unless they get wet or damp. When they are dry and you stick your nose in their fur there isnt an odour there really. Jessie stinks though just lately and she had a bath not long ago.

But no, I dont think they do smell any more fed on a raw diet then they would on a kibble diet. Maybe the idea that they do smell more is perhaps something to do with all the toxins etc being flushed from the body when their diets are initially changed? I dunno, just taking a stab in the dark!
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
When I got Muppet he was on kibble & he stunk, the whole house reeked of dog & as for his breath...very doggy.
A few monthes ago I started with raw & within a day or so the smell dissapered, his hair dosn't smell of anything much & the terrible dog breath has totally gone. If a stranger walked into my house they probably wouldn't realise a dog lived here. (Hmmm where can I buy 'odur dog' air freshner from, to scare any intruders away.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >