Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nick Megson
New Member!
Male 

04-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Boxer (recall problems)

Hi Everyone,
Come on then there must be a Boxer expert who can tell me what im doing wrong.My 2 and half year old female boxer,Molly is a dream, she is so well trained apart from 1 very inportant fact, when let off the lead she runs for the ball, brings it back for the first 15 mins, then runs into the field and will not come back. You can get within 10 foot of her, then whoosh shes gone, i have tried nearly everything to no avail. Now i dont let her off unless i want to walk for an hour on my own till shes ready to give in. Any help please.

Thanks, Nick
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Silly suggestion here but would just the 15min do her, then put her back on the lead. Then gradually just extend the time. When she shoots off again just lower the time. She may get the hint?
Nick Megson
New Member!
Male 

04-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi
Why does it always sound so simple when other people say it, but you are so right. Just when i think shes had enough of the ball i miss the timing, but i do agree with you, she would get used to it,i will give it a try, thankyou for replying
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 06:49 PM
It's always hard on a forum to understand exactly what the problem is and hence how to correct it.

Given that she is interested in the ball for 15mins, it seems the ball holds enough interest for her to stop her running off. So you seem to have something to work on here.

I would do two things.

1) Put her on a 10 metre tracking line - you can let this trail while playing ball and throughout the walk, but when you need to you can get her back so breaking the habit of her ignoring you/running away from you which she has gotten into.

2) I would also try to up her interest in the ball. Don't just throw it for her to fetch. Get one on a rope and tease her with it flicking it just out of reach each time she tries to get it. Get her really revved up and working hard for it. Then let her have it. And play a really exciting game of tuggy with it. Then throw it a couple of times and put it away. At the most play with it for a few minutes of really really exciting play. Walk on for say 10 mins, then call her again swinging that ball really enticingly and repeat above for a few mins. Then put it away. Repeat the pattern throughout the walk. Use food treats intermittently too.

Never let her get bored of the ball, always leave her hungry. You can also leave her hungry by pretending to throw the ball so that you fool her into looking for it for a bit but instead put it away.

Hope this helps.
Nick Megson
New Member!
Male 

04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Skilaki
That makes so much sense,i think you are right, she must get bored then runs off and plays her own game with the all, and makes me chase her.
But taking on board what you have said, i will try various games tokeepher interested,
I suppose anyone must get bored with the same games, Molly will be so pleased i discovered this site.
Thankyou for your help, cant wait until tomorrow to try it

Nick
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Instead of playing for 10-15 minutes, try just throwing the ball 3 or 4 times and then putting it away so she's always wanting the ball back and watching your pocket. Get a squeaky one so it's even more valuable. Play different games with it including "find it", "wait.............and fetch", "catch". NEVER play with her until she has lost interest in the ball. A ball obsession is an absolute gift, nurture it and treasure it!
Nick Megson
New Member!
Male 

05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi

Just came back from a walk,used a 20 foot peice of line, threw the ball but teased her with it , throwing different ways, what a dream, simple fact: train the owner, the dog will follow, wht arent children this easy
Thankyou all so much for your generous help