Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Do dogs continue to have seasons for ever

My rescued greyhound/saluki cross has not, and cannot be spayed because she has a heart condition that prevents her having an anaesthetic.
So, do dog experience the menopause as humans do, or do they have "seasons" all their lives.
If they do reach a menopause, at about what age would this occur?
Sorry if this sounds a silly question but I have never had an unspayed bitch before and so I have never even thought about what might happen
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I think that eventually they will but it depends on how long they live, so to speak. Is there not a pill they can put her on permenantly, I believe they use it in the greyhound industry in any event to prevent the bitches from missing a race.
Becky
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
I have to admit, because we have only had Mo 3mths I haven't really investigated things yet.
Thought I would ask you learned people in the mean time.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 04:44 PM
There is a pill that they can go on to stop seasons but when I enquired about it, I was told it wasn't recommended.

I think it can cause more problems than it helps.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I personally don't know about the age they stop having seasons, but my vet once told me there is an injection that they can have that lasts 6-12mths and it prevents them having a season. To be honest, I can't comment on the injection as my dogs have never had it.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Female dogs don't stop having seasons, it's an ongoing thing that happens right up to the time you loose them.

Another thing I learnt through owning a Pedigree Greyhound is that they don't cope very well under general anaesthetic's. Mainly the reason my Greyhound was never spayed..
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks all, I don't particularly want to stop the seasons, we know that we are just going to have to be careful. I was just interested. I don't think we will go down the route of pills or injections.
Thats interesting Nicci, cos I understood that apart from her heart, it was the Saluki in her that made anaesthetics dodgy maybe I misunderstood and that it is the greyhound.
Anyway, there are going to be times when she is kept away from boy doggies
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Heres a link that will help explain things all about Sighthounds. http://www.gurk.demon.co.uk/oxfordgr...healthcare.htm

If you click the link and scroll down to 'ANESTHESIA' you will find an intresting read as to why they don't cope terribly well

Hope this helps