View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2005, 09:41 AM

Eating Grass - should this be allowed to continue?

Last night my little dog Harry started eating grass, he ate loads. I was expecting him to be sick afterwards but he wasn't. In future should I let Harry carry on eating the grass or should I stop him?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Sometimes dogs eat grass as an emetic, sometimes they eat it simply because they like it Dogs will often forage for beneficial grasses and herbs, their instincts seem to tell them what to eat and when. I would let him continue to eat grass but, as with everything else, not to excess. Also, make sure that the grass has not been sprayed with chemicals - herbicides or fertilizers.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Brandie has always liked to eat grass Especially when it's all wet with dew! It's never done her any harm, I think she knows how much she can eat without making herself sick.
At first I thought it was very strange and that she must be ill, but it seems that she just likes it!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi there I wondered the other day how little Harry was getting on ..

In view of Harry's history I wonder if this could all be part of a long on going problem like an alergic reaction of some kind leading to a sensitive tummy that flares up at times causing Harry problems. As SB says maybe he is trying to sort it out for himself.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
My old dog Barney used to eat grass, but is was always a problem if he ate long grass, because when he went a poo, he would quite often have a long blade of grass sticking out of his bottom and I had to gently pull it out.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos
My old dog Barney used to eat grass, but is was always a problem if he ate long grass, because when he went a poo, he would quite often have a long blade of grass sticking out of his bottom and I had to gently pull it out.

LOL I had to do that once too!!!!! china likes munching on select peices of grass...She is very picky though about which patch is good enough!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
LOL I had to do that once too!!!!! china likes munching on select peices of grass...She is very picky though about which patch is good enough!!!

i have to do this frequently with the brunster as his favourite is long grass - its disgusting especially when you are being watched by all the other dog owners who are laughing !! LOL
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Yep - eating grass is fine, provided it's not grass cuttings - these are harmful to horses so I wouldn't risk letting my dog eat them. Lennon loves "grazing" - especially if there's nice fresh dew on the grass. Desmond Morris finally came up with the answer as to why dogs eat grass - "because they can"
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Cassie likes it too!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Cassie has always eaten grass and Georgie is now copying her. Sometimes I'm sure she thinks she's a horse as she really grazes on it,but I think that's when she's not feeling too good, but they normaly pick at nice juicy bits as we go along. It's very good for them but not too much obviously, and I've been there too with that recycled long stuff!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >