View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kristina254
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2006, 02:26 PM

Good news on my dog's surgery for hypospadia (PON)

I just joined here and in my intro posted that Jake the Polish Lowland Sheepdog was having surgery today to correct abnormalities from hypospadia.

He's had all male parts removed so he will look like a girl at first glance, even though he is all boy! The surgery took about 3 hours so he's still a bit groggy and i get to collect him at 5pm. So glad all went well today, i was quite nervous.

Kristina
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Yay! Glad all the surgery went well for him. I hope he comes round and is back to his old self quickly. Poor boy, i hope he doesnt get all self conscious! Im sure most men that have to had their bits removed would feel very inadequate

Wishing him a very speedy recovery and i hope he doesnt lick his stitches out!

Kris x
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Glad all went well for him, and wish him a speedy recovery..X
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 02:47 PM
So glad that it went ok He deserves lots of cuddles now
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 05:51 PM
aww im so pleased that the op went well sending you all hugs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi kristina254 glad to hear the op went well...would you care to tell us a bit about the condition/the symptoms/
Thank you, it will be useful for others with similar problems
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Great news

{{{hugs}}} from me
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2006, 06:38 PM
awwww so glad it all went well, here's to a speedy recovery
kristina254
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2006, 10:15 PM
As requested a brief summary of Jake's condition and his surgery today

Warning Graphic descriptions:

A quick summary of hypospadia (hippo-spay-dia)

It's a congenital malformation of the urethra and genitals caused by something unknown during early embryonic development. A link to increased use of pesticides has been attributed to the huge increase in this condition in human males.

Hypospadia is where the urethral fold fails to fuse during gestation and results in a shortened urethra, exiting below the normal point, ie on the shaft of the penis, the scrotum, the perineum or in extreme cases in the anus. In Jakes case he has a Perineal Hypospadia so he pees like a bitch, squats low and manages fine. His penis had no urethra at all, it was just an 'appendage' and would never function normally at all.

However his prepuce (foreskin) wasn't closed. This was the biggest problem. Originally the breeder's vet had stitched this together but left him 'hanging loose' but this wasn't working very well as his penis was getting sore and dry and he was licking it all the time because of this. It was decided to amputate rather than him lose or damage it traumatically. The prepuce and mucousal tissue was also removed to prevent a build up of smegma (that's the gross bit.. LOL, the vet was quite clear that it wasn't the most pleasant thing he'd had to deal with!)

He had one descended testicle and one retained - this is also common in hypospadic dogs. The scrotum of the descended one was removed because it had some signs of urine scalding due to the position of his urethra.

He has a scar/incision that on first guess is about 8-10 inches long but I haven't gotten close enough to measure it. All in all it was quite involved surgery for the poor boy, but hopefully he'll have no further problems.

Kristina
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Kristina Thank you, I read something not long ago about a pesticide connection to hypospadia in humans and dogs, your information is most welcome
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >