Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi H, Vanguard is by Pfizer & heres the link to them

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfiz..._7/-31285.html

They say

*Serological data has indicated that most dogs, when given at least the first annual booster, can maintain protective levels of immunity to the viral components of Vanguard 7 for up to 4 years*

So after a booster at 1 year old immunity is good for 4yrs.

If Im reading your table right the year 8 shows Year 8: DHLPPi, the P=parvo then yr 9 shows LPPi. Again the P=parvo so she shouldn`t have had that again, she also had the parvo in year puppy+years 1+2+4+7+8. In year 3 she had para-influenza twice But its probably because they don`t do the other ones without parvo so unless everyone starts complaining about this the manu`s won`t make stand alone vacs, much like the vacs babies have now are all given together instead of singley
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Thankyou Christine.
Will have a read of the link later - should be on my way to work now!
Will speak to my vet regarding Teagan....can they have a blood test to see if they need the injection, or is it best to just leave it for those 3 or 4 years?

Why do vets insist they have boosters every year if the manefacturers say they don't need them?
Worrying, isn't it!
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2006, 03:22 PM
So reading the link I think Daisy is protected up to 4 years, but I bet the vet doesn`t agree with that. I am seriously think about not having her done, she is 10 years old, might do more harm than good.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Thankyou Christine.
Will have a read of the link later - should be on my way to work now!
Will speak to my vet regarding Teagan....can they have a blood test to see if they need the injection, or is it best to just leave it for those 3 or 4 years?

Why do vets insist they have boosters every year if the manefacturers say they don't need them?
Worrying, isn't it!

Yes you can request a blood test (you will have to pay for it).
Unfortunately manuy vetinary practices are in it for the money, thank god we have our vet!
xx
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi H, you can`t get more assurance than the manu`s stating their vax give x amount years minimum duration of immunity The blood tests, called titres are a bit more complex to understand & can`t show the full picture as to the animals immunity.

Or you can always believe what Schultzs scientific data shows, that successful vaccination after 6mths of age shows immunity for minimum of least 7yrs if not life

*Why do vets insist they have boosters every year if the manefacturers say they don't need them?
Worrying, isn't it!*

Yes very worrying, maybe show your vet all the info you have & ask him, I`d love to know what he says
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos
So reading the link I think Daisy is protected up to 4 years, but I bet the vet doesn`t agree with that. I am seriously think about not having her done, she is 10 years old, might do more harm than good.
Hi K/C, its not up to your vet to agree with it, he can not disagree with it!! That is what the manufacturers say about their product ie the vanguard vaccine.

After all, the people who make them should know more about them than the vet who uses them under guidance from the manu`s
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I've seen the "booster or not" argument on so many boards that I'm now totally confused about it! My boys get their annual boosters mainly because of the lepto element in them - this area, being agricultural, is heaving with big, wild rats which my Boys will chase and corner, and a cornered rat will fight. No way do I want my Boys bitten by a lepto-carrying rat!

My vet's practise sends me a card a few weeks before the "due date", to remind me to get boosters arranged, and, I have to admit, I thought that a reminder card was regular with all vets. Oooops!

Yours sounds like he's on the make!

Snorri
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi S, whats confusing you?

Nearly all the vax manu`s give assurance that their vaccines give immunity to the 3 major diseases, parvo distemper & adno for 3 or 4 years.

So lepto is the ONLY one that maybe needs given yearly, none of the 3 I`ve mentioned does.

Hope that helps to de-confuse you, if not tell me & I`ll try explain better. You see its not a for or against anymore cos the manu`s now give their vax duration of immunity that is longer than a year You can read what they say themselves in the links I`ve given
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2006, 04:36 PM
me again and totally confused now sorry ... ok there puppy card says they had nobivac B(or D, cant read vets writing well)HLPP, thats when they were 10 and 12 weeks
there yearly booster they got at 1 year old, no idea what they got, cant find the card (went to a different vet)
so going by there puppy jabs, they wouldnt have needed there jab last year, and would be good for another 2 years now? or am i miss reading (sorry bit thick with these things, just do as im told by the vet)
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2006, 04:55 PM
My first Border Collie, Glen, was rescued from a freezing river, as a pup (approximately 6 months old, vet thought) - someone had thrown him in with a brick tied to his neck .

This was quite a long time ago: when we took him in, and brought him to his first vet appointment, he got his puppy's "first injections". In those days, nobody ever thought about booster jabs (possibly, they didn't exist?), so he never had any more. He lived to be a healthy old boy of 19, and the only "serious" treatment he ever needed was an op to remove a stye from one eyelid.

Perhaps he was just lucky? I have no idea of what the initial jab contained, it was all very long ago! Probably just distemper?

I think I will have to have another discussion with my vet...........

Snorri
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »