View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:23 PM
we all know and its been scientifically proven that breast is best, but on the other hand formula is by no means a death sentence
Yes, quite. Although why it should have to take scientists to PROVE that human milk is more suitable for small humans than modified cows milk - I don't know!

I don't understand why there was so much upset about this comment from someone who IS feeding their baby breast milk (from a bottle) as they obviously must believe themselves that breast is best or they wouldn't be going to all that trouble.

The comment seems to have been directed at new mums who decide not to even try to breastfeed, even for a short while.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, breastfeeding is great, but surely it's individual choice?

It's not the be all and end all, is it? Many formula fed babies are fine.

'Breastapo'.....that made me LOL! Sorry....
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Yes, breastfeeding is great, but surely it's individual choice?

It's not the be all and end all, is it? Many formula fed babies are fine.

'Breastapo'.....that made me LOL! Sorry....
mmnn individual choice - but the baby can't choose, I just find it a bit ridiculous that since formula was created there has been some kind of decision that its a better way to go than your own milk that is created specifically for YOUR own baby, with your own immunities passed down to your child. I just don't get why people wouldn't WANT that for their child - even for a little while?

I have no issue with mums who are physically UNABLE to feed, but thats a very small percentage of the population something like 5%, so its not even that many. What is more likely is that people don't get the assistance to feed which is sadly lacking in our hospitals, and also due to the turnaround of beds - mums get kicked out sometimes the same day whereas 40-50 years ago you had 5-7 days in hospital so therefore time to establish feeding with assistance.. There are of course lots of reasons why people don't breastfeed HOWEVER I find most of them aren't for me a really good reason... and I believe its a really good thing to do so therefore if you choose not to I have to wonder why not?
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I wanted to breast feed my twins (born at 36 weeks). They were good weights 4.5 & 5.5 lbs each. Colonel Depesquale (paediatrician) told me that I had no choice in the matter, and formula milk would be best!!!! (Something to do with the amount of fat in formula, and the girls would thrive better)!!

On the subject of additives, my grand daughter is now five and a half months old, and now weaning. We only give her organic baby food, nothing with salt in etc, AND MY SON TELLS ME DEFINITELY NO CHOCOLATE!!

At the end of the day, all we want to give our children is the best start in life.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Something else that has changed.

The majority on the maternity ward when I had my three bottle fed - me included
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:40 PM
To go back to Azz's thread and chemicals in food etc. - I really believe good nutrition is very important. Death from infectious diseases dropped hugely long before the introduction of vaccines because of better sanitation and nutrition, etc. I do try my best - I didn't do so well with breast feeding but I do try with home cooked meals for my babies/children (both of them lol), using fresh ingredients - I really feel that this, plus fresh air, plus exercise, plus plenty of sleep and hydration helps the immune system to cope.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm aware of the benefits of breastfeeding and I can totally understand why you feel so passionately about it, but as said before, it's not a death sentence.

Aside from not getting enough support to try it, people may have their own, personal reasons for not breastfeeding.

I wouldn't appreciate anyone trying to force me in to breastfeeding if I didn't want to in a hosptal should I ever have a child. Maybe I just shouldn't have one if I don't intend to breastfeed!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I'm aware of the benefits of breastfeeding and I can totally understand why you feel so passionately about it, but as said before, it's not a death sentence.

Aside from not getting enough support to try it, people may have their own, personal reasons for not breastfeeding.

I wouldn't appreciate anyone trying to force me in to breastfeeding if I didn't want to in a hosptal should I ever have a child. Maybe I just shouldn't have one if I don't intend to breastfeed!
equally as you say thats up to you though, its individual choice as you said, I just don't understand the reasoning why not to try it... anyhow, I could argue the point all day it won't change my stance on it which is I do believe it to be the best thing you can give a newborn and that ultimately will give them the best start.

No-one can change my mind on that, and rather than ram it down others throats I do try to do something to make sure more people are able to feed by volunteering as a breastfeeding peer supporter which I had to have 6 weeks training for and obviously have breastfed myself, I also go to antenatal groups and talk about what to expect etc, so its not just me ranting about what I think, I do try to do something to support others who want to try to do it too...
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Well, my girls are now 23 yr old and they're still alive without breast milk!!!!

I do agree that we should all be aware of additives etc around the home including foods and paints. I also agree that some parents go over the top (my son included) with my grand daughter, but they are her parents, and it is their choice.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
equally as you say thats up to you though, its individual choice as you said, I just don't understand the reasoning why not to try it... anyhow, I could argue the point all day it won't change my stance on it which is I do believe it to be the best thing you can give a newborn and that ultimately will give them the best start.

No-one can change my mind on that, and rather than ram it down others throats I do try to do something to make sure more people are able to feed by volunteering as a breastfeeding peer supporter which I had to have 6 weeks training for and obviously have breastfed myself, I also go to antenatal groups and talk about what to expect etc, so its not just me ranting about what I think, I do try to do something to support others who want to try to do it too...
I'm not trying to get you to change your stance, just giving you a different viewpoint on the subject.

Do you wait until people ask for advice or support on the matter in hospitals? Or is it just the talks in antenatal groups etc that you do?
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »