View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I haven't owned a TV since 2002 and I have to say, I don't miss it at all. The TV went when I was trying to save my marriage, ex husband spent all his time in front of TV after losing his job and wasn't interested in anything else. I was working overtime to make ends meet, then having to come home and wash up everything he'd used during the day, cook a meal, do the rest of the housework, etc.

In the end I said to him "Either the TV goes or you do," during an attempt to make him realise he had to get off his backside, make an effort to find a new job and start helping around the house. The TV went, but he followed it a few years later.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:50 AM
The license fee covers the upkeep of all BBC broadcasts and the production of new ones. It's either that, or adverts.

Much as I hate adverts, I think the inconvenience of them is preferable to paying the fee.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but what I do watch I enjoy and would hate to lose it. I really would hate to have to watch on computer - spend way too much time on this thing as it is
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't have a TV. Did have one while my son was living at home but it was a rare occasion when I watched something. When my son moved out I moved house. I decided after a couple of years to get a TV. I thought I could relax in front of it instead of sitting constantly working on my pc. It didn't work I would say I watched 6 hours of TV during that year. Of course once that license run out and I didn't renew it I had loads of letters from the TV people. They came to the house one day so they could check. I had previously decided I wouldn't let them in as you don't have to, but was in a good mood that day and they were nice so let them in to see that the TV I still had wasn't connected and was stuffed into a corner making it impossible to watch. They did mention the pc but as far as I was concerned I don't have a TV card in it.

I believe if you are buying a new pc and there's a TV card in it the shop takes your name and address and informs the TV people. I think most pcs come with the TV card nowadays. I hope not because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle you get from them. Why is it so difficult for some people to believe that life is possible without a TV
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4