Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
It's always nice to meet someone who's got shared experiences
You mentioned getting a purebreed one day...which sighthound would you get? I can't imagine not having one either
I would love a Podenco, theres just something about these lot of dogs, although tbf I'd probally end up with one of the mixes they get in lol, and I've been told that in all likely if I still have rabbits I wouldn't get one .

But just look.

Heres a website.

http://www.ibizanhoundrescue.com/adoption_ibizan.html

I'd also love a Grey, a Saluki and a pharoah hound too, oh and I'd love a Cirneco Dell'Etna.

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
The sight of them in full flow is beautiful. Even with Gracie (half whippet) looks amazing when she stretches right out and just runs. I could watch for hours!
I've watched both of mine for ages before, well it is a valid excuse as to why the walk was a long one, the dogs just wanted to run lol.

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I love watching dogs run

There are some lovely Lurchers and Greyhounds at our local park, and watching them play and run is so much fun. One of them doesn't just run, he also kind of bounces around - it's hilarious!

Until he played with them, Dexter was pretty much the swiftest dog in any group of dogs - when they arrived and he first met them, Dexter ran with them for a bit and then you could almost see him realising he was never going to equal their speed! He gave up and decided to chill while watching them
Honey bounces too, we call it prancing, when she's really happy it seems that she just can't contain herself its great to watch though and the amount of dogs round here that give up is one thing, but I love the stubborn ones who still want to play, so run half way to where they think the dogs will go then turn round and try to beat the dogs back to whereever they come from is great.

Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
my lurcher in full flow at peak fitness as she is hitting right now almost brings tears to my eyes, she literally flows.
It is amazing to watch isn't it .
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Paris is quite a reserved dog at home, generally letting Phil do all the bouncing around, but to see her off lead she is like a different dog. She seems to come alive when she's running, thats the only way i can explain it. Phil on the other hand potters, he never gets to full speed and Paris gets very wound up with him, running at him and barking at him to get him to chase her It never works
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I would love a Podenco, theres just something about these lot of dogs, although tbf I'd probally end up with one of the mixes they get in lol, and I've been told that in all likely if I still have rabbits I wouldn't get one .

But just look.

Heres a website.

http://www.ibizanhoundrescue.com/adoption_ibizan.html

I'd also love a Grey, a Saluki and a pharoah hound too, oh and I'd love a Cirneco Dell'Etna.
Gorgeous! You've got quite a list there! Hope you get them all one day

Originally Posted by grommit View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Paris is quite a reserved dog at home, generally letting Phil do all the bouncing around, but to see her off lead she is like a different dog. She seems to come alive when she's running, thats the only way i can explain it. Phil on the other hand potters, he never gets to full speed and Paris gets very wound up with him, running at him and barking at him to get him to chase her It never works
That's lovely Axel potters around mostly, but every now and again, for no reason other than he wants to, he'll just take off into full flight and do mad laps, it's my happiest moments watching him run because he wants to and not because he has too. Love it!
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I used to have a pharaoh hound cross dobbie and watching him and my lilttle whippet cross girl go was so beautiful. When i was younger i used to live with my grandmothe rand we lived near a lady that breed afghan hounds. She used to walk them over the field at the back of our house and always had 5 or 6 at a time. Watching them go was magic
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2011, 02:37 PM
It's entirely possible to train most sighthounds to live with small fluffies.
There are some of course in whom the hunting instinct is too strong but most will happily curl up with their own bunnies or whatever while still considering wild ones fair prey.
I've found my mastiff breeds much less reliable in that regard and they're never left alone with the cats.Very odd because they don't chase strange cats or rabbits but they can't be trusted inside with them.
I know exactly what you mean about the sight of them running - there's nothing like it.It has the extra comedic touch around here of course as those dogs who were not bred for speed vainly attempt to keep up..
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
I know exactly what you mean about the sight of them running - there's nothing like it.It has the extra comedic touch around here of course as those dogs who were not bred for speed vainly attempt to keep up..
Your comment brought this picture to mind, this lab had NO chance of catching Axel until Axel was ready to be caught!

Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:20 PM
All sighthounds look their best when running but long coated dogs for me just have that extra glamour and "poetry in motion" with their flowing frills and hair accentuating their movement.

Watching e.g Salukis, Borzois or Afghans stretching out and racing about is a wonderful sight and the dogs are having a ball too, while the whippets are so nippy (in the fast and agile sense) when they tear round, having better cornering ability that the bigger breeds.
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:22 PM
My whippet cross has a habit of tucking her bum in really close and she looks likes she is flying lol
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by grommit View Post
Both of mine are quiet at home, apart from when Diesel decides that actually, enough time has gone past since he last had a cuddle, so he wants one, and he wants one now Honey can potter outside, but when she gets moving, she gets moving good and is faster then Diesel, and can corner better, which I don't think he likes too much lol.

Gorgeous! You've got quite a list there! Hope you get them all one day

That's lovely Axel potters around mostly, but every now and again, for no reason other than he wants to, he'll just take off into full flight and do mad laps, it's my happiest moments watching him run because he wants to and not because he has too. Love it!
Well I would like a Deerhound too, and I've already had one of them , I grew up with one, and have said that if I ever have children there will be at least one Deerhound around at that time too, there was something magic about having Trampus, and I have some great memories of him too, even if he was as big as me

Originally Posted by proudmummy View Post
I used to have a pharaoh hound cross dobbie and watching him and my lilttle whippet cross girl go was so beautiful. When i was younger i used to live with my grandmothe rand we lived near a lady that breed afghan hounds. She used to walk them over the field at the back of our house and always had 5 or 6 at a time. Watching them go was magic
I bet it was, I would love to see an afghan run, and I bet that your pharoah dobbie cross was gorgeous.

Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
It's entirely possible to train most sighthounds to live with small fluffies.
There are some of course in whom the hunting instinct is too strong but most will happily curl up with their own bunnies or whatever while still considering wild ones fair prey.
I've found my mastiff breeds much less reliable in that regard and they're never left alone with the cats.Very odd because they don't chase strange cats or rabbits but they can't be trusted inside with them.
Have you not seen my Honey photos she's been ok with a few rabbits, but if she chases one outside...

SDC10511 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

And I love seeing other dogs try to keep up.

Your comment brought this picture to mind, this lab had NO chance of catching Axel until Axel was ready to be caught!

Lol, I bet he had a good time trying though

Originally Posted by Tass View Post
All sighthounds look their best when running but long coated dogs for me just have that extra glamour and "poetry in motion" with their flowing frills and hair accentuating their movement.

Watching e.g Salukis, Borzois or Afghans stretching out and racing about is a wonderful sight and the dogs are having a ball too, while the whippets are so nippy (in the fast and agile sense) when they tear round, having better cornering ability that the bigger breeds.
I've not had the priveldge of seeing a Borzoi or Afghan run, but I remember seeing my Deerhound run, I also remember hiding in long grass when he was sent out to find us (it was a game), and sitting down to see him come bolting straight at me, jump over me and then when he stopped turn around, he would then lead us all out by holding onto our hands in his mouth, he did that when people came to the door too, he would lead them into the living room by their hands, the people who knew him didn't mind, but new people wondered what was happening .

Originally Posted by proudmummy View Post
My whippet cross has a habit of tucking her bum in really close and she looks likes she is flying lol
Lol, bless her.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 09:30 AM
That's a lovely picture, you I presume as a child? I do like deerhounds and wolfhounds too, gorgeous!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >