Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Do I get a kennel with run?

I'm looking at getting Ayla a large kennel and run for when we go out, as if she is not in the crate then she will chew everything and in the crate she will howl, but she does like being outside.

What size would be the best? I was looking at one that is 12ft long, 4ft wide and 5ft tall, would this be a resonable size for her? The kennel is 5ft long and the run 7ft.

Does anyone else kennel their dogs overnight or when they go out?

Thank you

Becs
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Before you spend out that much money can you try her outside first somehow?If she does create you might well get complaints.

rune
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2009, 03:35 PM
I have an outside kennel and run for my two, they are quite happy in it if I have to go out for more than an hour or so. I don't like leaving them in the house where there is sooo much temptation (having had a lab in the past who liked nothing more than a wee spot of demolition!!)
The one I have is 6ft wide by 12ft long, with a sleeping area and run area, it is all covered over with mesh on the front of the run bit. I don't kennel mine overnight as I like them sleeping in the house.
It is the best money I have ever spent, as I don't worry about what they are getting up to if I am held up when I'm out. My two like being outside, some dogs don't but they are quite happy and usually just go to sleep.
I have a big plastic bed out there which usually I buy charity shop blankets for as they get very stinky very quickly
Hope this helps
becs721
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Ayla has stayed outside before while we go shopping and she was fine. Our garden in secure and the only access is through our driveway which is on the side of the house. We have 6ft fence all the way around (although we've had to make an adjustment as somehow she managed to squeeze through the smallest of spaces to go into my neighbours garden!

I think a kennel and run would be the best thing for Ayla and will stop her from destroying the house or howling while we are out. She spends most of the day in the garden out of choice (we leave the door open for her but she always goes back outside)

Kirstya where in the garden did you put the kennel and run? Is it best to put it in a part of the garden that is shaded for most of the day/

I know kennels and runs are expensive but when compaired to the damaged Ayla can do while we are out or getting complaints from her howling in the house then its money well spent.

Thank you for your advice
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2009, 05:02 PM
She may just be lonely..or bored..hence the howling and destruction!
She may howl and try to claw her way out a run too...
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by becs721 View Post
Ayla has stayed outside before while we go shopping and she was fine. Our garden in secure and the only access is through our driveway which is on the side of the house. We have 6ft fence all the way around (although we've had to make an adjustment as somehow she managed to squeeze through the smallest of spaces to go into my neighbours garden!

I think a kennel and run would be the best thing for Ayla and will stop her from destroying the house or howling while we are out. She spends most of the day in the garden out of choice (we leave the door open for her but she always goes back outside)

Kirstya where in the garden did you put the kennel and run? Is it best to put it in a part of the garden that is shaded for most of the day/

I know kennels and runs are expensive but when compaired to the damaged Ayla can do while we are out or getting complaints from her howling in the house then its money well spent.

Thank you for your advice
Ours is in the bottom corner, we don't have a particulary big garden though that is the shadiest part during the day. The one I have looks a bit like a big garden shed, there is a door at one end and the front is heavy duty mesh. They can see out if they want to but can't get out if you know what I mean.
My two also like to be outside during the day but I found if I left them in the garden "running free" when I wen't out they were very vocal and spent a lot of time trying (unsuccessfully!) to dig under the fence.
I completely agree with you about the expense, I know they are not for everyone but it was money well spent in my opinion.
Mine were crated as little pups but I don't like the idea of them being so confined now (maybe daft on my part as they liked their crates) so their outdoor house is a compromise that I am happy with.

Good luck with what ever you decide