View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2009, 08:17 AM

Feeding time - how patient are your dogs?

when we feed the dogs we have them wait for a minute or so with the food down before they go to eat. This has seemed to be a very effective way of stopping any type food aggression either between the dogs or towards us.

How good are yours at feeding time and how do you do it?

these pics were taken the other day at feeding time.

Waiting to eat.
[IMG][/IMG]

yeah food.....
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Labs are noted for their greedy eating habits. It takes a little while, but we train each new puppy to sit until we place the food dish on the floor and say ''Free dog.'' Our Golden, Tux, is also very interested in his food, but at least once released, doesn't devour his food like most Labs.

It was interesting the few months we had Tulip and Zeke. They shared grandfather Hoover and the eating habits that earned his name. They would both finish their meal at the same time and immediately go check the other's empty bowl.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 11:17 AM
We have 2 impatient hoovers here i'm afraid... They are not in the slightest food aggressive towards each other or us though. Phil jumps up so every time he jumps the food goes back on the counter until he settles.

My sister has a very well trained spaniel cross that lies down until she is told to eat.. although i must say she is not at all food motivated..
kimmeh_121
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2009, 12:37 PM
our 4 are very patient, at about 6 30 am we take them out for an hour walk BEFOR feeding them every morning, then we get back
they get breakfast, and the same in the evening. it took a while to get charlie to get use to it, she use to protect all 4 bowls making sure none of the others would even think about going near it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Mine just sit there behind me while I'm faffing around dishing it up, adding pills for one of them etc. on the worktop, they both just sit there, dribbling and waiting, and they never move until I turn around and plonk it down in front of them, and one is only 7 months old and she's learned that all by herself from the day she arrived at 10 weeks old! Bliss here!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 01:19 PM
As soon as they see me go get the bowls Poppy runs to the patio...Ben will just sit by the door and wait, she jumps about all excited.

I place Ben's down first then move over to where Poppy has hers, same area about 4 ft apart, make her sit and stay then plonk it in front of her...Ben is a plodder with food, sometimes he eats it all in one go other times he just takes his time. Poppy east at a hundred miles an hour with one eye on Ben and the other on his food, but she won't touch it!!!

Elaine xx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Ivan is very good. As soon as I get his food bowl he will immediately go and lie down on his bed and stay there until he is told "ok".
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 02:48 PM
my 4 are tottaly NOT patient! one of the springers whines for 1/2 before i feed them so sometmes wont feed them at 4 they have to wait, then when im up charlie and lola jump up and down outside crying. BUT once the bowls ar down none ot them touch it until they sit and wait for me to say"ok"
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 02:56 PM
aww aren't they good
Mya sits where her dish goes and waits there for it or sits in her bed and gets up when I put the dish down. Fred stands behind me waiting so I almost trip over him, he used to be sooo fussy but now he's loving his meals for some reason
EnR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Not very! Enzo sings while I'm preparing their food - here's a video I took one evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFaKL...e=channel_page

Sometimes I ask them to sit and wait a few seconds before eating and sometimes they just have to sit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >