View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes Sarah, of course I meant prey, I get a bit confused this time of day when I've had a busy one!

Now where I live, horses are everywhere, and a while back we were surrounded by 5 of them in a field, just me and Zena who was onlead at the time coz we were walking through their field, (they all galloped over to US!) they put their noses down to her, she was unphased, but my safest option was to set her free and throw her ball away from them under the fence through a gap, coz they were all around me at the time, racehorses toboot, who can be very touchy to say the least! I think if my dog was viscious, especially if frightened being in such a situation, then of course, she would have at the very least barked at them, but she didn't, to her they were animals, having got 4 legs, they weren't to be attacked coz she is one herself, that's all I'm trying to get across here. I cannot understand it quite honestly, unless the dog IS aggressive can you? Gsd's are known to chase anything that moves, so had she been offlead and the horses were galloping off in the other direction, then things might have been different, but just like this guy riding his horse, probably just ambling along at the time, not AT SPEED, then why oh why would a dog want to attack it?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 06:07 PM
You did great Tillymint! I'd have got all flustered and not known what I was saying

As for what you said, you spoke the truth. So what, you reported what had happened to you. Should you have lied, maybe changed the breed (to spare some over-sensitive sbt owners) that came across as aggressive towards your dog or kept information from the media???? Goodness me
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I cannot hear the footage as we still have not got the sound sorted on our PC yet, sooo frustrating.

What an appalling thing to have happened. Poor man (and horse!), they both must have been very traumatized by the whole incident. Especially when it was only his second time out riding Hope it doesn't put him off for life.

As for the dog, it's irrelevant to me what the breed is that did this (& for those who don't know I love Staffies ). It was on its own, out of control and dangerous. What would have happened if the horse bolted with the rider right in front of traffic, God forbid!

The owner is certainly responsible here for it being out of control in a public place and causing injury to him & his horse. Whether it was the excitement of the chase or the dog has never been socialized properly we will never know what caused it to attack. It is a massive shame that it is owners like this who behave so irresponsibly give breeds a bad name.

Ultimately, my sympathies are with the poor guy & the horse who got attacked.

I don't think Tillymint should have changed her story, end of the day what she said happened to her was the truth! As for 'adding fuel to the fire', it is up to the media to show a balanced view, not the member of the public they speak to.

BTW, If it was a Rottie involved I'd feel the same way.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 08:00 PM
i cant find the vid....

alli get is one long vid of like 23 mins.... is it a particular point??

scary speaking on tv.. id go bright red lol

back on topic....

its ahorrible thing to happen nand it would happen less if there were less numpty dog walkers....
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
But I wanted to be on the teleeeeeeee (please take that as intended - tongue in cheek )
I get it

It just touched a nerve with me because I'm involved wtih staffies and I think the less chance the media get to portray them as vicious beasts the better.

P.S. Random I didn't 'allow' my dog to attack some horses. I can't be bothered to type the whole story, but I'm a bit insulted that you would insinuate I am that irresponsible

Also, I'm not saying Tilly mint should have lied. I'm saying why did she have to say anything? Because she wanted to be on TV
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I get it

It just touched a nerve with me because I'm involved wtih staffies and I think the less chance the media get to portray them as vicious beasts the better.

P.S. Random I didn't 'allow' my dog to attack some horses. I can't be bothered to type the whole story, but I'm a bit insulted that you would insinuate I am that irresponsible

Also, I'm not saying Tilly mint should have lied. I'm saying why did she have to say anything? Because she wanted to be on TV
If it had been a couple of Chis that had bit the horses legs, made it bolt the owner off and so on..................I don't think I'd have thought about it for one minute if a local had said "These Chihuahuas came by and viciously attacked the horse, or whatever." It would be a factual report. Why is it that when anyone names a dog in any situation as being a SBT do we get the moaning about making it worse for the breed. There are lots of breeds out there that are slammed for one thing or another. Chis are often portrayed as vicious little ankle biters by the media and people generally (even though I have never come across an even slightly aggressive Chi in my life ). I just think it's time that some people involved with SBTs stopped going on the defensive every time someone mentions anything adverse that involves a SBT
Stokey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2009, 02:42 PM
One day human beings will realize that animals are never going to be human, to begin with they are too honest to their selves why we lie to our selves.
There is a growing need to my mind for people to respect their animals and not take for granted the total knowledge they think they have of them. "He wont bite", "Oh he will be OK" all too common statements.
I hope what I am trying to say here comes out right here.We have created an unnatural world and yet blame an animal when it gets confused within it.
I feel for the horse and rider but I also feel for the dog that is unbalanced due to improper care.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I just think it's time that some people involved with SBTs stopped going on the defensive every time someone mentions anything adverse that involves a SBT
Who made you the opinion police Cheeky? You're the one always saying everyone is entitled to an opinion

My point is that Tillymint didn't have to say anything.

Stokey - I completely agree with you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Stokey View Post
One day human beings will realize that animals are never going to be human, to begin with they are too honest to their selves why we lie to our selves.
There is a growing need to my mind for people to respect their animals and not take for granted the total knowledge they think they have of them. "He wont bite", "Oh he will be OK" all too common statements.
I hope what I am trying to say here comes out right here.We have created an unnatural world and yet blame an animal when it gets confused within it.
I feel for the horse and rider but I also feel for the dog that is unbalanced due to improper care.
That makes a LOT of sense to me too!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
If it had been a couple of Chis that had bit the horses legs, made it bolt the owner off and so on..................I don't think I'd have thought about it for one minute if a local had said "These Chihuahuas came by and viciously attacked the horse, or whatever." It would be a factual report. Why is it that when anyone names a dog in any situation as being a SBT do we get the moaning about making it worse for the breed. There are lots of breeds out there that are slammed for one thing or another. Chis are often portrayed as vicious little ankle biters by the media and people generally (even though I have never come across an even slightly aggressive Chi in my life ). I just think it's time that some people involved with SBTs stopped going on the defensive every time someone mentions anything adverse that involves a SBT
As an Rottie owner, I think it is very difficult not to be naturally defensive of breeds like Staffies, Rotts, GSD's etc. They are so widely discriminated against, it is kind of in-built into you from the beginning of owning one, that you have to stick up for them, prove people wrong etc. There is so much negative publicity regarding these types of dogs, that as a good owner one is compelled to try and defend them and give a balanced view.

I know it can sometimes come across to people as being over-defensive perhaps, but when you live with negativity about the breed you own on a daily basis, it's a habit you get into

With the greatest of respect, I think it can be hard for people who own other breeds to understand how it feels.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >