Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Teaching to Stand from Sit and Lie Down

What's the best method to do this? We have been working getting Saffy to Sit from lie down and we are getting good results. The problem now is how to get her to stand up (on four legs not two )

So far we've been moving the treat in front of her and she is following it but when she stands and we give her the treat she immediately sits down again. So is there a better way to do it or is it just a case of persisting with our current method?

Thanks,

Aileen x
Cazzh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Aileen
What's the best method to do this? We have been working getting Saffy to Sit from lie down and we are getting good results. The problem now is how to get her to stand up (on four legs not two )

So far we've been moving the treat in front of her and she is following it but when she stands and we give her the treat she immediately sits down again. So is there a better way to do it or is it just a case of persisting with our current method?

Thanks,

Aileen x
When I ran my training classes, we taught stand, sit and lie down for all dogs, not just those who were also show dogs as it was useful in controlling a dog for examination at the vets etc. When your dog gets up into a stand, stroke with the other hand underneath her tummy, repeating the word 'stand' and then give the treat. Do this for longer and longer until she is standing for 20 seconds or so without sitting down before you treat her. Worked for us and we had several Crufts qualifiers in our Practical Pet Dog training classes too.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2005, 02:05 PM
good advice above.

u can also try clicker training. just extend the amount of time between the click and treat to keep her standing for longer. The method stated by cazzh will probably work better if u are not already clicker training tho
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for your help Caroline and Jenny

Caroline: That sounds like excellent advice and makes a lot of sense. We'll definitely give it a go.

Jenny: we haven't tried clicker training her at all but are certainly thinking of trying it. Not because she has a problem learning things but because she seems to enjoy obedience type things so much it could add a whole new dimension to it.

Thanks again!

Aileen x
Cazzh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Aileen
Thanks for your help Caroline and Jenny

Caroline: That sounds like excellent advice and makes a lot of sense. We'll definitely give it a go.

Jenny: we haven't tried clicker training her at all but are certainly thinking of trying it. Not because she has a problem learning things but because she seems to enjoy obedience type things so much it could add a whole new dimension to it.

Thanks again!

Aileen x
The clicker training that Jenny has suggested is excellent if you read up on it or watch a video on it first. I found in class that an awful lot of people would just obtain a clicker, having seen about it all on TV and clicked at their dog like it was some sort of remote control! (If only it was that easy!!!) There is a lot more to it than that so my advice would be yes, try the clickeer training because if you can grasp the concepts of that, then you can teach your dog all sorts using it as it is a very positive form of training which your dog will enjoy. If you search the internet, there are some good sites to be found on clicker training and www.crosskeysbooks.com has a wealth of resources on clickertraining plus the clickers themselves.

Do I use clicker training? Well have to be truthful and say not a lot as I had already trained my lot using the lure/reward method before I really took an interest in clicker training but I have dabbled in it and also in target training too. Target training? Ummm well, once you get into clicker training, you will probably find articles about that too! It's fun! Happy learning!
jacey
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2005, 05:37 AM
When I teach mine to stand I use a door sounds daft but it works for me.

I put the dog in the sit in front of a door with the handle on the left as you look at it and that opens toward you. As I move my right hand up to open the door I give the command to stand and the dog has to stand to let the door open. You have to be careful not to trap toes so do it slowly till the dog understands you are going to open it.

I normally have the dog on a lead with the clip at the back to encourage him to move back into the stand. I use lots of treats and once the dog realizes what I am going to do they will move into the stand as soon as I move my hand so we turn it into a game with the dog trying to beat the door.

When they do it from a sit we start over again from the down.

jacey
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2005, 08:25 AM
It really is quite easy to teach, but until your dog understands exactly what 'stand' means, start with a stand from a sit (this is an easier progression for the dog). Have your dog sitting in heel position. Lead (if you are using one) looped over right wrist. Treat in right hand. You need to combine a stand signal with a command and a treat. The usual signal is the left hand swept flat, from right to left, across and just in front of the dog's nose, combined with the command 'stand'. As you do this the right hand, with the treat in it, comes across, very slightly above & in front of, but close to, the dog's nose. This should bring him up into a stand without luring him forward. As soon as he stands praise "good stand" and reward with the treat. Once he understands what 'stand' means, and is doing it consistently from a sit, then the same technique can be used for stand from a drop.

'Twould be much easier to demonstrate than describe
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks Sb will have to try that.