Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Biting, just need some advice.

Well, Arthur has come on a lot since we first got him especially with his puppy biting/mouthing.

Recently everytime we have asked him to get of the sofa for example (he isnt allowed up but we have to keep reminding him this) he growls and goes to bite us.

we have then been taking him of the sofa and putting him in another room for 30 seconds or so and then letting him in again. it works for a while but then we go back to the same again.

is there anything else i can do or shall i just keep going the way i am, i know these things take time. just making sure im doing it the best way

thanks
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:19 PM
What are you doing to get him off the sofa so that he growls & tries bite you?
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:49 PM
firstly we tell him 'off' and usually that works but sometimes he just sits there so we hold his collar and get him off that way and so he growls and goes to bite (he doesnt do it hard but he still does it)

he never use to do that so i think he is just being naughty but we have never backed off and let him stay on the sofa.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Put a trail lead on him and don't give him eye contact. Just use the lead and remove him.

Get someone in to look at everything you are doing before it escalates and he generalises the behaviour.

rune
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2010, 11:12 PM
thanks for the replies.

i will try that and see what happens. definatly want to stop it before it escalates.

thanks again.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2010, 11:24 PM
have you tried teaching an 'on' invite command to the sofa and an actual 'off' command from the sofa?

as in set up actual training sessions with treats etc?