Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2009, 12:19 PM

House training lapse in 2 yr old

Hi, a few weeks ago we had to go to a christening and we couldn't bring the dogs. They were walked before we left at 10.30 and I expected to be back by 2ish. Unfortunately the people we were giving a lift to were reluctant to leave and we ended up getting back at 6. I would never leave them like this normally and was worried the whole time!
When we got back I could only find Dan, Myrtle was nowhere in sight. It turned out that one of our guests hadn't shut the bedroom door and she'd got herself stuck in there. Needing the toilet (which is my fault) she went on the bed. We didn't tell her off for this as a) it wasn't her fault and b) it was too late for her to know what we were talking about! Since then, she has stopped asking to go out and has 'been' several times in her old pre-housetraining places . Does anyone think this is because of being forced to go indoors that time or something else? Should we re-train her to go outdoors or let her sort it out herself (which I can't see happening in this weather!)?
Thanks, Jo
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I think I'd sort of go back to the house training, at least send her outside every so often with the "go have a wee" command and giving a treat when she does and comes back in as well as lots of praise. I don't think you'll have to go the whole hog by standing outside in the rain yourself somehow! I'm still doing that with my two, even though they're both fully housetrained coz one is 11, but I tend to throw them outside when I think it's time they had a wee, so I suppose it just gets instilled in them coz so far so good indoors, and one is only a year and a bit now!

I'm so glad you didn't reprimand her, poor little mite stuck in the bedroom and couldn't get out These things happen though, you get held up sometimes, and that was a really long time to leave them imo, but it just couldn't be helped, we've all done it I'm sure.

Try and make a point of putting her outside every so often even if she doesn't want to go and give lots and lots of praise if she does and start rewarding again, that's my advice, hope it helps, and good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Since then, she has stopped asking to go out and has 'been' several times in her old pre-housetraining places

Hi Jo a single accident can turn into a habit.

I would try to restrict access to the pre training places you mention for the moment ,also make sure the areas are thoroughly cleaned with a none ammonia based cleaner to remove all traces of scent (biological washing powder is good for this).
Next step return to taking Myrtle out at regular times when she is most likely to want to eliminate (first thing in the morning/last thing at night/after food,play,sleep and every couple of hours for an adult) .

You need to go with her and give lots of praise when she goes and a treat to begin with, this must be done the moment she finishes going, (gradually stop giving the the treats as she gets the idea but continue to praise ) .

If you take her to an area frequented by other dogs their scent and a little exercise should help to stimulate her to eliminate.

Myrtle should soon begin to associate eliminating outside with a reward and you should be back on track
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I know it was far too long to leave them and I have never left them that long before. When I took them out this lunchtime I praised her every time she went to the toilet and I will ensure she gets a quick stroll last thing at night too. Thanks for getting back so quickly, I want to ensure it does just stay as a couple of accidents and not become habitual
Jo