Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AgilityDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Handling Kennel aggression at work

Hi,

I work part time at a boarding kennels, w get lovely dogs in, but every week you can gaurantee one or two start to kennel guard. i wondered the best way to deal with this when entering to feed and leash for walk? currently i make sure i go in cofidently, dont make too much eye contact, just enough to ensure the dog is aware im not afraid, i also make them sit when im in there they bark snarl, jump up etc and can be quite frightening, but i stand my ground, i also turn my back on them until the calm down, today the biggest german shepard i have seen in my life came in, he is soft as tripe outside his kennel but inside he tries to become threatening, he is on a large amount of medication and he needs a syringe half hour before food to line his stomach, went to give him his meds and all was fine until i tried to get him to take from the syringe, snarling and growling and snapping t my hands, i kept trying but he got more defensive, i decided to try agin when he had calmed down but he wouldnt let me out the kennel. eventually i managed to administer is meds but it was such an effort and e did nip me a couple of times, what is the best way to deal with this behaviour, all the dogs are brilliant out the kennel.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Ring the contact, send the dog home, you shouldnt be put at risk like that, where were the kennel owners? What happens if the dog doesnt get his meds? The kennels will get the blame!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ring the contact, send the dog home, you shouldnt be put at risk like that, where were the kennel owners? What happens if the dog doesnt get his meds? The kennels will get the blame!
I'm with Dawn on this one, I'm sure you're not being paid enough to take risks like this. No way would I do that! If we get an extremely aggressive dog in at work (grooming salon) we send them home. I certainly won't risk time off work for dog bites.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I work in boarding kennels.
Personally, i like to deal with these situations.
I find them interesting and challenging, in a positive way.
Maybe the OP is the same?

To the OP, how about doing the meds outside the kennel?

Re the GSD, considering you were trapped inside the kennel with a snarling growling snapping dog and all you got was a couple of nips, i would hazard a guess that he doesnt really want to bite nor attack you, because if he wanted to, he most certainly had the opportunity to do so then.
Sounds like he was employing distance increasing tactics between yourself and him.

Re the kennel guarders in general, i would go round every time you pass, throwing bits of chicken thru the bars.
Also, i wouldnt make a point of entering the space of kennels guarders and getting them to sit or making any sort of issue or delay over getting the dogs in and out, I would walk in calmly and confidently as you do, and hold a slip lead in one hand.
With the other hand, hold a piece of chicken
This chicken hand will be inside the slip lead loop so the dog receives the chicken whilst the slip lead is placed.

But im not telling you to do anything or saying what will or wont work, as im not there, nor do I know these particular dogs.
Im just telling you what works for me.

Dawn is right, you and your employers ought to know your Health and Safety rights and obligations.

One of which, in such situations, a second senior person might be advised to be in the vicinity, in case something goes wrong.
Although you do sound confident.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i work in boarding kennels.
personally, i like to deal with these situations.
i find them interesting and challenging, in a positive way.
maybe the OP is the same?

to the OP, how about doing the meds outside the kennel?

re the GSD, considering you were trapped inside the kennel with a snarling growling snapping dog and all you got was a couple of nips, i would hazard a guess that he doesnt really want to bite nor attack you, because if he wanted to, he most certainly had the opportunity to do so then.
sounds like he was employing distance increasing tactics between yourself and him.
She should NEVER of been put in a position ALONE where a large dog could attack her, its a disgrace! Ive managed kennels for 16yrs and there is no way on this earth any part time staff/students etc.. would be put in such a position. its VERY different if its me or my bosses but never ever a student!

So the dog refuses to take its meds, what then KW? What do you do when the dog deteriorates? How do you treat him? How can you get him to a Vet?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i work in boarding kennels.
personally, i like to deal with these situations.
i find them interesting and challenging, in a positive way.
maybe the OP is the same?

to the OP, how about doing the meds outside the kennel?

re the GSD, considering you were trapped inside the kennel with a snarling growling snapping dog and all you got was a couple of nips, i would hazard a guess that he doesnt really want to bite nor attack you, because if he wanted to, he most certainly had the opportunity to do so then.
sounds like he was employing distance increasing tactics between yourself and him.
Have you left where you were KW? Or did I get it wrong---I thought you worked in rescue?

I agree that the dog didn't want to hurt you you left him no choice and he still didn't damage you badly.He's a good boy!

Trouble is you need a trusting relationship with some dogs in order to handle them in ways they don't like, and a stressed out dog ina strange place isn't going to trust you.

I'd check the kennels insurance for you as well, are you covered to give medication?

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I'm with Dawn on this one, I'm sure you're not being paid enough to take risks like this. No way would I do that! If we get an extremely aggressive dog in at work (grooming salon) we send them home. I certainly won't risk time off work for dog bites.
Never enough money to risk being attacked in a closed kennel, madness!

Its not worth the risk to anyone. We have dodgy dogs all the time, they are usually managable, but a very aggressive dog is a problem, not for some kennels of course, just shut it the other side of the pop hole etc.. we dont work like that, if we cant get the dog out and exercise it, Id rather it go home or to the contact we will of been given.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Have you left where you were KW? Or did I get it wrong---I thought you worked in rescue?

I agree that the dog didn't want to hurt you you left him no choice and he still didn't damage you badly.He's a good boy!

Trouble is you need a trusting relationship with some dogs in order to handle them in ways they don't like, and a stressed out dog ina strange place isn't going to trust you.

I'd check the kennels insurance for you as well, are you covered to give medication?

rune
Anyone can give the meds Rune, no different to the owner doing it.
AgilityDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi all, thank you for your replies, just to answer a few points, yes im covered for administering meds to clients dogs, i am part time as i am about to begin uni to study vet med, im 19. I understand and partly agree with what you are all saying, my boss experiences the same treatment from the same dogs, i just wondered what is the best method in controlling the kennel gaurding, thanks for everynes input.

I like the idea of administering meds outside the kennel where he feels less threatened and less confined.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

Yes

totally

rune
very good points
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >