Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Ear heamatoma.

My Goldie, Tia, has a smallish haematoma in her ear. It does not involve the whole ear flap, is not huge and is in no way bothering her at all. I have no idea how she acquired it, but it is not getting any better, or any worse.

I know vets can drain the haematoma, but that it reoccurs quite often. She is 11 and has never had this before. What do people suggest?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 09:56 PM
hiya,poor girlie
my advice would be to get it checked as there will be an underlying reason why she she as an a.h
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Will do! I know they can get it from scratching, playing, bumping into things etc. I have no idea how she got it! It just appeared!

Will speak to vet tomorrow!

Thankyou!
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi there

I think this is what Duke, our eldest Irish had. I first noticed a lump in his ear. Hubby took Duke to the vet and they drained a bit first and did some tests on the fluid which was mainly puss and clear fluid. The lump went away for a couple of months but I noticed it had returned in the same ear, although it wasn't as big.

We took Duke to the vets yesterday, saw a different vet, but explained what had happened previously. She drained again and this time there was a bit of blood in the fluid. She wondered if there was possibly the start of a growth and we were advised to keep an eye out over the next month or two.

Duke is 10.5 years old and this is the first time this has happened to him too!

Good luck with Tia.

Kind regards, Karen
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I spoke to the vet today. She told me to try cold compress for a wee while. If that didn't work she would have to have it drained and a steroid injection into the space. There is a chance it can turn infected and nasty. I don't think she will be impressed by the Birds Eye pea bag around her ear!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi Lianne a haematoma on the ear flap can be a real nuisance. I have had two dogs with this over the years.

Each time the vet drained the blood filled flap/put a drain in and bandaged the ear flat but on both occasions the ear healed but shrivelled up like a dead leaf.

This was some years ago, I don't know if the outcome is better these days.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 03:05 AM
Hi,

How long has Iia had the haematoma? If it's only ashort time then I'd seek advice form a vet if I were you. The're generally not dangerous but can be iritating to a dog.

If she's had it a long while and it's not causing any problems then keep an eye on it but go to your vet if there are ANY changes in it's appreance - colour, size, discharge, temperature.

Also, examine her very day for other lumps and bumps. It's important fo rTia to allow you to touch her all over a it's makes life a lot easier for the vert and you can detect things early on too. I'm sure you do anyway but it's even more imporant as dogs get older - just as with us.

Good luck.

Laura xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I had one of these with an old gsd and the vet didn't want to aneasth. her, so he just slit it with a scalpel and drained it and told me I had to keep squeezing it over the next few days to keep it open, but by the 3rd day she was screaming so much when I did it, I just left it alone, it all shrivelled up and she ended up with a cauliflower ear, but who cares, at least I wasn't putting her through any more pain. In my view, they just keep filling up again unless you get them operated on, but mine did no harm to my dog just letting it all shrivel up. Good luck with it. I'm sure mine originally got hers by shaking her head near a radiator and hitting her ear on it?!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

28-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I do hope all will be well for Tia. I don't know anything about things like that but I am sure the vet will help and drain it.

Healing thoughts going to Tia.

Take care.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Tia is still fine and unbothered (? if that is a word) by her ear haematoma. Will let you know if the cold compresses do anything, as yet no.

Thank you for your replies!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >