Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lebrown.stoke
New Member!
Female 

10-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Cocker spaniel suddenly chewing.

Hi Everyone, I'm new here so please bear with me.

This is a question that I am asking on behalf of my grandma, so will give as much info as able to:

My nan has 2 dogs, cocker spaniels, aged 5 and 6, both rescue dogs, she's had them around 4 years and adopted 6 months apart.

The dog in question was found abandoned in a house in a dog crate, was there around 2 weeks and after a stay in vet kennels came to live with my gran.
He was a nervous dog initially, but became very loving, and settled into the family well.

The dogs are left alone up to 4 hours, maybe 4 times a week and always seemed content and happy. They have the run of the kitchen and dining room which is a large space.

Last month my gran had a new laminated flooring, she went out for around 2 hours and came back to the floor pulled up and we being chewed by the dog, other dog was asleep in basket.

To cut a long story short, everytime she leaves the house, even for an hour, the floor is chewed. It has been replaced twice in a month at £400 a time.

She won't use a crate due to the history of the dog. Anyone with any knowledge please help us!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Welcome to Dogsey
Strange First thought was separation anxiety but then I re-read and he's lived with your Granma for 4 years so this is a relatively new thing,just since the new floor went down, yes?
lebrown.stoke
New Member!
Female 

10-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Yes, just since new flooring was put in, its completely the same as the old flooring, was just redone when refurbing kitchen.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by lebrown.stoke View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm new here so please bear with me.

This is a question that I am asking on behalf of my grandma, so will give as much info as able to:

My nan has 2 dogs, cocker spaniels, aged 5 and 6, both rescue dogs, she's had them around 4 years and adopted 6 months apart.

The dog in question was found abandoned in a house in a dog crate, was there around 2 weeks and after a stay in vet kennels came to live with my gran.
He was a nervous dog initially, but became very loving, and settled into the family well.

The dogs are left alone up to 4 hours, maybe 4 times a week and always seemed content and happy. They have the run of the kitchen and dining room which is a large space.

Last month my gran had a new laminated flooring, she went out for around 2 hours and came back to the floor pulled up and we being chewed by the dog, other dog was asleep in basket.

To cut a long story short, everytime she leaves the house, even for an hour, the floor is chewed. It has been replaced twice in a month at £400 a time.

She won't use a crate due to the history of the dog. Anyone with any knowledge please help us!!
Sounds to me like classic separation anxiety kicked in after a honeymoon period. It is undoubtedly linked to the change in flooring ... but your gran needs to handle this very sensitively. Best scenario is of course to never leave the dog alone, but this may well be totally impracticable, so a gently gently approach needs to be taken where y0ur gran starts off leaving the house just for a few minutes and then gradually increases the time. Obviously crating is out of the question ... poor dog, what a ghastly experience he went through.

A very special reward could be given each time Gran returns ...a juicy meaty raw bone to each dog?

Poor poor dog, it sounds like he has been through hell.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Could also just be bored.If I'm planning on leaving mine for a while,I take her for a good long walk first.She just sleeps till I get back.Not saying he will,all dogs are different but It might help burn off some of that energy A kong might also help,give him something else to chew and he gets rewarded with the food inside.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2015, 10:47 PM
This may sound crazy - but I wonder if it has anything to do with the 'smell' the new laminate is giving off? You know, like when you get a new carpet there is that distinctive odour.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Hello Laura welcome.
You say..
So if the behaviour is new I would look for something to do with the recent changes..

Originally Posted by Popster View Post
This may sound crazy - but I wonder if it has anything to do with the 'smell' the new laminate is giving off? You know, like when you get a new carpet there is that distinctive odour.
I agree smell could be part of the cause and maybe the new floor is softer and easier to pull up that the old floor. Chewing is a rewarding behaviour for dogs so once they started on the floor it can quickly become a habit.

Can the chewing dog be put in a room that doesn't have the new floor when it is left alone.

I would also make sure the dog has something it is allowed to chew when your Nan is around to satisfy the need .
I would not leave the two dogs alone together with chewable things that could cause a fight.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 02:44 AM
If the only change has been the redone floors, I would be inclined that the change has set the dog off.

Seeing that he's had a rough past and now he has a great loving home, he may feel that any change to the comfort he has now is a threat per say.

I would be afraid if changing where he normally is while his owner is gone might make things worse for him. Does the dog chew the floors while the owner is home? Is he fed in the kitchen? I would try to make the place where the floors have been redone the most fun place in the house. Play his favourite game, eat, and/or simply hang out quietly together in the room. Clicker training and target games are a good way to help a dog realize there is nothing to be afraid of, or the changes in this case.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 07:11 AM
The anxiety and the new flooring are obviously related. Was the laminated floor put down using an adhesive? The chemicals used in products such as gloss paint, adhesives, and insect repellents can affect the nervous system causing insomnia, anxiety and restlessness when inhaled. I would advise your Gran to discuss this possibility with her vet. If I remember rightly antihistamine is usually prescribed to combat the effects of the toxins.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Dogs love glue and wall paper paste so it could be that. Maybe you could put the dog in a smaller area. Are you really sure that it wasn't the other dog especially if it was asleep. Tired from doing something it shouldn't? Sounds like it could still be seperation anxiety. Maybe leave a radio playing or make a tape of household noises, flushing toilet, hoovering, speaking at the front door etc. Leave it playing when you leave the house. That way the dog will still think you are in somewhere in the house.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >