Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Torn Dew Claw- advice please?

Totts almost tore hew dew claw clean off yesterday (hadnt done anything strenuous just during a walk). She was limping yesterday when it happened and the claw was still partially attached. I cleaned it up and secured the nail as it was too painful to remove (right at the base of the claw). Now came off and she hasnt been lame on it but she has been in a deep sleep most of today.

basically just thinking now that its came off cleanly should i be ok to walk her without covering it up? Also as long as I keep an eye on it do you think there any need now for her to see a vet?

You can see in this pic the tear (totts is the little JRT cross) this is before she started limping, hadnt even clocked at this point.

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 06:51 PM
You could cover it up for a few days, give it chance to begin to heal properly, only when she goes out if it were my dog, use something like Vetwrap.

http://www.firstaid.co.uk/Non-Woven-...x-4.5m-PBA214/

This is from a chemist, any chemist will do it, exactly the same as for a dog.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You could cover it up for a few days, give it chance to begin to heal properly, only when she goes out if it were my dog, use something like Vetwrap.

Thanks for that I had it bandaged up before but the snow is very deep here with no clear areas. Do you think id be best putting a waterproof sock on it for now then or would it be fine with just a fresh bandage after walks?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Thanks for that I had it bandaged up before but the snow is very deep here with no clear areas. Do you think id be best putting a waterproof sock on it for now then or would it be fine with just a fresh bandage after walks?
If she isnt bothering it indoors Id leave it free, just use a bandage or sock for walks as thats when she is likely to catch it or damage it charging round. They usually start to heal very quickly.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:02 PM
If she isnt bothering it indoors Id leave it free, just use a bandage or sock for walks as thats when she is likely to catch it or damage it charging round. They usually start to heal very quickly.
brilliant thanks, appreciate it
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Oscar did something similar recently, he didn't rip his dew claw clean off, but he did rip the nail clean out. Lots and lots of blood!

I managed it myself, inspite of a member of staff at PAH insisting I take him to the vet. I cleaned it with dilute Hibiscrub and dressed it with cotton wool bandage with vetwrap over the top. I changed it daily and within a few days the bandage came off and it healed naturally. Just keep an eye on it - any redness, swelling or heat could indicate infection at which point a vet visit would be advisable.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi my dog did the same a few weeks ago, took him to the vet who pulled it off,it didn't bleed so she said to keep an eye on it and it should be fine, it was
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oscar did something similar recently, he didn't rip his dew claw clean off, but he did rip the nail clean out. Lots and lots of blood!

I managed it myself, inspite of a member of staff at PAH insisting I take him to the vet. I cleaned it with dilute Hibiscrub and dressed it with cotton wool bandage with vetwrap over the top. I changed it daily and within a few days the bandage came off and it healed naturally. Just keep an eye on it - any redness, swelling or heat could indicate infection at which point a vet visit would be advisable.
Ouch not very nice, this is the first time ive encountered this problem, but it looks as though the same may have happened before to her other dew claw so looks like its something im now going to have to be aware of.

Yeh i spoke to an emergency vet originally because It was still attached and was sore to the touch. They wanted me to pay £120 before the vet even looked at her so decided to secure it in place and dressed it myself until vets opening hours. The emergency vets were not happy at all. But its done the same thing they would have probably charged me £150 for and it broke of by itself without causing her any further pain or distress. wasnt aware heat was a sign so thanks i will look out for that.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
Hi my dog did the same a few weeks ago, took him to the vet who pulled it off,it didn't bleed so she said to keep an eye on it and it should be fine, it was
poor soul, ive never had the problem before had no idea it was so common. ill be keeping a close eye on it but thankfully doesnt seem to be bothering her much at all today, the occasional lick(which i stop her from) but thats it.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Thats good Laura-Anne, it should be fine. as already said take Totts to the vets if it shows any signs of infection,otherwise all will be ok Only took ours to the vet cos he's a big baby where nails are concerned and could tell it needed pulling off so a muzzle was needed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >