Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Dog neutering

hi, i have been thinking about when to get junior done. he is only 7 months which i think is far too young, i am thinking more 18 months as i think he should be matured enough by then, but people are saying to get him done round about now i would love to hear some of your thoughts on it
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Why would you want to risk an op at all? If he is a normal well balanced dog, leave him alone.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:39 PM
i am worried that if i dont get him done he will reach that age and want to chase after the ladies
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why would you want to risk an op at all? If he is a normal well balanced dog, leave him alone.
I agree if you dont have to get him done, why risk an op.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:56 PM
my junior is an amazing wee dog its just people have told me he wont stay like that if i dont get him done
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I have 1 entire older dog who is fine - no issues so has remained entire the whole time he has been with me.....

The Jury is out on Zeff.....9 months and yet to cock his leg...late developer ...and I think he needs his hormonal confidence (testosterone)

My first dog was done at 7 months - was a fab choice and instantly stopped his 'stroppy' approach to the other dogs.

I have a friend with a Deaf pointer who wanted him done before he even got a wiff and he is fine (was done dead on 6 months)

Your dog your choice.....10 different people will give you 10 different opinions - I would go with what you feel happy about, don't be pushed by your vet.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have 1 entire older dog who is fine - no issues so has remained entire the whole time he has been with me.....

The Jury is out on Zeff.....9 months and yet to cock his leg...late developer ...and I think he needs his hormonal confidence (testosterone)

My first dog was done at 7 months - was a fab choice and instantly stopped his 'stroppy' approach to the other dogs.

I have a friend with a Deaf pointer who wanted him done before he even got a wiff and he is fine (was done dead on 6 months)

Your dog your choice.....10 different people will give you 10 different opinions - I would go with what you feel happy about, don't be pushed by your vet.
thanks tassle, you have made things a lot easier for me he hasn't shown any interest at all he has never even mounted his teddies
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 08:17 PM
When I just had males they were entire and there was no problems with them, now I have males and females the boys are done (and one of the girls). I did however loose one of my darling boys when he had the op so I really hate them having ops when its not needed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by kellymcg View Post
my junior is an amazing wee dog its just people have told me he wont stay like that if i dont get him done
Rubbish, he stands FAR more chance of changing if you remove his testosterone. Behaviour issues can arise in many cases when you neuter a dog. I think you have a normal, well balanced dog, let him stay that way.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Rubbish, he stands FAR more chance of changing if you remove his testosterone. Behaviour issues can arise in many cases when you neuter a dog. I think you have a normal, well balanced dog, let him stay that way.
this is why i love dogsey being able to talk to people that know what they are talking about i will definently be leaving him as he is, i sometimes cant believe how lucky i am to have him, its as if he understands everything i say
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >