Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Would you be angry if somebody

'pet corrected' your dog (aerosol spray in a can) IF you know your dog is aggressive with other dogs, but you didn't manage to get it on his lead on time and he ran away from you across the field to jump in another dogs face and nip at their feet?

I'm sure the majority of Dogsy members are more responsible than this, so, speaking hypothetically?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I would not be happy - but I would accept that it was my fault and that person was acting as they saw fit to protect themselves and thier dogs.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Nope, but it is at the other owners own risk that it wont make the dog worse
But if a dog is going for your dog then I guess you do what you can to get it safe
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I would be angry, but could understand why they did it.
I carry a spare lead, and would hit any dog that came near mine to attack it (sorry!)

My dog IS dog agressive, therefore does not go off lead.
She is only dog agressive because she has been attacked so many times by other dogs whilst she was minding her own business, so now I do my best to protect her, and I suppose if it meant spraying an air can, then I would
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:17 PM
hi
no i wouldnt be happy,but i would understand.
i am seriously thinking of taking a can of 'something' with me out on walks,its not something i am taking lightly...but thats a different thread
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't be angry if my dog did that and the other owner reacted that way.

Pet Corrector spray is just compressed air. It is there to immitate the warning sound of other animals, so won't harm the dog.

I would be more upset if someone physically touched my dog, but again, if it was my dog going for the other dog, then it would be totally understandable (I have picked a GSD up that attacked Jess before until the owner came and got it as I couldn't get her off any other way - I won't kick/hit a dog if it attacks one of mine - just personal preference)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't be happy, but if I owned a dog that did that I think I would be annoyed with myself too for getting into that situation.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I carry a spare lead, and would hit any dog that came near mine to attack it (sorry!)
See, to me, that's worse than the spray..? But a safe option nevertheless better than a physical punch or kick (I once witnessed a man kick another dog as hard as he could in the groin to seperate a fight, the said dog was on a lead the violent guy's wasn't, I was furious with him, ran over in hysterics and told him if that'd been my male dog he'd be getting the vets bill for a full check up, poor poor dog was really hurt.)

When I walk my two on my own (not often, me and my partner nearly always take them together) I carry the can for confidence, only had to use it a couple if times.

I used it tonight on a little local dog i KNOW is aggressive, hates my two and is always on a lead, he'd obviously slipped his collar. He's is actually mad!

....I then got promptly shouted at by his owner and then when I was talking to my friend later on the phone she said she wasn't surprised the other person kicked off! (but she has kids not dogs so maybe she was liking the situation with a child)

If I was her, I'm sure I'd be GLAD the other person had something to stop him getting into a proper fight, and guilty not argumentative! My poor girl - 15 times the size the the Yorkie seemingly trying to jump up to get her nose was tiptoeing, jumping, prancing, growling and crying with me clinging onto her collar high so she wouldn't make contact with him! Zeke the other, offlead, was a few metres away and legged it!!!

NO APOLOGY!

Her parting words were 'YOU COULD MAKE HIM WORSE' to which I did tell her that he really couldn't be much worse.

jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
See, to me, that's worse than the spray..? But a safe option nevertheless better than a physical punch or kick (I once witnessed a man kick another dog as hard as he could in the groin to seperate a fight, the said dog was on a lead the violent guy's wasn't, I was furious with him, ran over in hysterics and told him if that'd been my male dog he'd be getting the vets bill for a full check up, poor poor dog was really hurt.)

When I walk my two on my own (not often, me and my partner nearly always take them together) I carry the can for confidence, only had to use it a couple if times.

I used it tonight on a little local dog i KNOW is aggressive, hates my two and is always on a lead, he'd obviously slipped his collar. He's is actually mad!

....I then got promptly shouted at by his owner and then when I was talking to my friend later on the phone she said she wasn't surprised the other person kicked off! (but she has kids not dogs so maybe she was liking the situation with a child)

If I was her, I'm sure I'd be GLAD the other person had something to stop him getting into a proper fight, and guilty not argumentative! My poor girl - 15 times the size the the Yorkie seemingly trying to jump up to get her nose was tiptoeing, jumping, prancing, growling and crying with me clinging onto her collar high so she wouldn't make contact with him! Zeke the other, offlead, was a few metres away and legged it!!!

NO APOLOGY!

Her parting words were 'YOU COULD MAKE HIM WORSE' to which I did tell her that he really couldn't be much worse.

I would be fuming if I was in your position and the other owner had a go at me for using corrector spray if their dog went for mine.

Hope your dogs are ok!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post

NO APOLOGY!

hi
oh i know this one,every single day i walk to work past a hairdressers,they have two shih tzu's ever since Tupac was 12 weeks they have flew at the glass at him,they watch the dogs and dont do a thing,he is now 16months the other day one finally got out towards Tupac,as he was on the lead he started reacting back(finally!) and did they come and get him? not till i requested angrily that unless the dogs have a death wish they had better get it(they dont know he spends his day with a cross shih poodle lol)
now if my dog had reacted it would of been my dog that would of been branded the 'aggressive' dog .......sadly its a size thing imo.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »