View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Where/how/why and when did you start showing?

Thought it would be interesting to hear peoples stories.
My first show was with a foster whippet, at a charity event, where I took a 1st and a 2nd and then was given BIS by Lynn (cant remember her second name but she did dog borstal).
It was a great feeling, I only done it for some fun on a day out but knew from then on it would be something I would love to get into.
So it only felt right to giving showing a try when mum settled down with the CCs. My first show was a breed club champ show - handling a dog bred by someone else, I wasnt placed - but it didnt stop me, I started building up my confidences (and still am a nervous wreck) also learning how to get the best out of the dog and how special that bond is with a dog.

I would class Star as the dog that introduced me to the show world - shes the first dog I have 'properly' shown, I trained her myself, have been placed well with her and shes also the first dog I have qualifed for crufts.
I show because I like the days out with people just as passionate about a truely amazing breed and a nice day with the dogs, and nothing beats the feeling of being placed well agaisnt other stunning dogs.. Its always nice to know that others think your dogs are great to

My story isnt exciting, pretty simple really - So lets hear yours.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
23yrs ago I went to work at a Labrador show kennel. I showed dogs there and so it went on..........
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi, Kyesh is my sixth English Setter, and the only one I have shown, when he was 14wks old i watched him move and it was poetry, so rang his breeder and said I wanted to show him, she was thrilled, and he has been consistently placed at most of the shows we have attended in the last 20mnths. Maud and I have worked very hard to get him as good as he is. And oh! Boy the feeling when you watch him in the ring up against all these top dogs and he is there and will be one of them soon as Maud will be recognised as a good breeder to be admired and repected. My other ES were of show quality, from a very good breeder, who I now see them at the shows, infact he was the first judge we went under. I think I show now is it is the right time, and I really enjoy it.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
We went along to an exemption show 36years ago with our Rough Collie and won Best in Show, we stupidly thought we must have a good dog, so entered him into an open show, where he obviously came nowhere and the judge spoke to us afterwards and said he was only a pet quality dog but if we wanted to show to go along to a good breeder and purchase a good bitch. We done that and went on from there owning others, breeding our own too and then also going into smooth collies.
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:43 PM
My dad was interested in dog shows although he never showed a dog - he took me to a few when I was a kid in the 1960s.

I have really happy memories of them. Never showed myself because I found the world intimidating but my dog was Crufts qualified the year I got her. Imagine your first show being a Crufts though! I couldn't do it!

I'd LOVE to enter a fun one, though and hopefully will take my old lady to one at some point.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Im glad you didnt ask when (lol) - feeling my age tonight.

After having smooth Chihuahuas as companions, got my first L/C, he was from a very famous line, but still companion type. Liked this breeders dogs & asked her to keep us in mind for when she had any pups we could show. From Chis we then got Griffons (Bruxellois) which we also showed.

I would still go to dog shows. Love seeing the dogs & meet up with like minded folk who know that no matter if they win or not, they still come home with the best dog/s at the show
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 01:51 PM
We started relatively late compared to some of you/ 8 years ago after Morgan died I spent hours trawling the internet for another welsh and ended up hitting upon a famous show kennel who happened to be local ( we had no ideas about showing but watched and loved Crufts). She let me have the pick of the dogs and encouraged us to go to ring craft and to the welshie fundays and social things.
Spencer never really liked it but we got the bug so bought another dog to show.