Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I repeat a "pet" dog (living as a pet) does not need to kill a " pet" cat (living as a pet) to survive. I never mentioned a dog living in the wild
But dogs are ANIMALS, tame animals true, but still "wild" animals when their backs are against the wall. If threatened sufficiently, as in an cat attack, they will respond as a wild animal. It is called "instinct" - the instinct to survive. If your eyes are scratched out or badly damaged by a cat, you will respond with some violence I would imagine towards that cat.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm not sure you can take away the instincts just like that.
It may not 'need' to in our eyes.....but from the dogs POV.
Well if we take what you are saying, Im surprised any Cats are managing t survive in homes where dogs are at all!

Dunno what went on here:

Perhaps I just have thick Cats! Cos the dog sure knows when her "instincts" come into play, and its NOT in the house where our pets live.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure you can take away the instincts just like that.
It may not 'need' to in our eyes.....but from the dogs POV.
Well i personally know a lot of dogs now & down the years & i dont know any that have killed cats, chased yes but not killed

If its a dogs natural Instinct, as you say
How were weable to introduce kittens into a home with 2 adult dogs, who had never lived with cats before with no aggression on the dogs part. Our younger dog took the kitten as his own to look after. When a second kitten was introduced both dogs were besotted with her.

However if you want to think differently thats up to you, we all have our own thoughts, ideas & opinions
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well if we take what you are saying, Im surprised any Cats are managing t survive in homes where dogs are at all!

Dunno what went on here:

Perhaps I just have thick Cats! Cos the dog sure knows when her "instincts" come into play, and its NOT in the house where our pets live.
Awh Dawn theyre just gorgeous......
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Well i personally know a lot of dogs now & down the years & i dont know any that have killed cats, chased yes but not killed

How were weable to introduce kittens into a home with 2 adult dogs, who had never lived with cats before with no aggression on the dogs part. Our younger dog took the kitten as his own to look after. When a second kitten was introduced both dogs were besotted with her.
Do you really feel ALL dogs - every single one - to have exactly the same instincts?
How much do your boxers enjoy herding?
How easily do you think they would take to it? As well as 99% of BCs?

I have dogs who have lived with cats, with no issue, who HATE or next door cats - and are currently living with one they have never met before fne.

I can produce pictures of dogs and cats together....it proves nothing about dogs in general...just that particular dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:41 PM

When I bought in the Cat you can see in the above pictures, he was almost 6mths old. That dog in the picture was the ONLY one that would have attacked him. While supervised, and the Cat having been raised with a Stafford, the dog was told to "leave" while the Cat was out of the large cage I had for him for the first couple days. The Cat was confident around dogs as none had ever hurt him, he brushed up against Breeze, almost as if "targeting" her. She was stiff, but never moved. The following day, I did the same, but called the dog away from the cat as he fussed around her, giving her praise and a treat for coming away. By the third day the dog was relaxed and giving no signs of uneasiness or wanting to attack at all. The cat never tepping in the cage again. That colour photo was taken just 6 days or so after the Cat came. Since then, that dog has absolutely adored all the cats that have come here, and always loved the cats that were here previously. She is my best and most versatile working terrier too.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:43 PM

I can produce pictures of dogs and cats together....it proves nothing about dogs in general...just that particular dog.
Who said every dog was the same?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
But dogs are ANIMALS, tame animals true, but still "wild" animals when their backs are against the wall. If threatened sufficiently, as in an cat attack, they will respond as a wild animal. It is called "instinct" - the instinct to survive. If your eyes are scratched out or badly damaged by a cat, you will respond with some violence I would imagine towards that cat.
As i said before we are not going to agree on somethings so best to agree to disagree

This is a well adjusted relationship
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:47 PM
As i said before we are not going to agree on somethings so best to agree to disagree

This is a well adjusted relationship
My "hardest" Terrier is the "kindest" one with other animals. By that I mean he has never ever showed and type of aggression towards Cats, Ferrets, Rabbits etc.. that have been here or bought in here. Yet he is a dog who I stopped working becuase he was too hard on his quarry and did a lot of damage to himself. Proving again that a dog knows whats "his" and what isnt.

Those two are gorgeous, especially the ginge!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
When I bought in the Cat you can see in the above pictures, he was almost 6mths old. That dog in the picture was the ONLY one that would have attacked him. While supervised, and the Cat having been raised with a Stafford, the dog was told to "leave" while the Cat was out of the large cage I had for him for the first couple days. The Cat was confident around dogs as none had ever hurt him, he brushed up against Breeze, almost as if "targeting" her. She was stiff, but never moved. The following day, I did the same, but called the dog away from the cat as he fussed around her, giving her praise and a treat for coming away. By the third day the dog was relaxed and giving no signs of uneasiness or wanting to attack at all. The cat never tepping in the cage again. That colour photo was taken just 6 days or so after the Cat came. Since then,
that dog has absolutely adored all the cats that have come here, and always loved the cats that were here previously. She is my best and most versatile working terrier too.
It says a lot for a well trained dog
Page 46 of 56 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 > Last »