Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Devastated (update @ post 75)

Hoki is just back from the emergency vet, one of her ears in tatters (not enough to stitch back together) following yet another fight between Stumpy and Hoki.

The fights are becoming much more frequent and much more intense. They are hardly ever relaxed around each other now.

I'm crying my eyes out as we sit here because it seems almost certain that we are going to have to rehome one of them. I know people do manage to live keeping their dogs seperate and theoretically our house is big enough to do this, but I just couldn't bare the thought of one of them having to be off in a room by themselves or me and OH never seeing each other if we choose to give each dog company.

If we have to, it should be stumpy who goes (last in) and I have a very special bond with Hoki. But in reality the chances of finding Stumpy a suitable home are very very slim - she certainly couldn't go to the 'average' family.

I blame myself as although I can't be sure, i do think that bringing Tip in has been the trigger. unfortunately, once bitches start, it is very difficult to turn back the clock.

I just feel so sick inside.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
What an awful situation to be in. Do you know what triggers the fights between them, if anything?

I'm sure you will make the right decision. Unfortunately sometimes the right decision can also be the hardest.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
*hugs*
I know how you feel - luckily Teagan and Fin have never seriously injured each other, as we don't give them chance.

We do keep them seperate all the time apart from walks - they can't even walk past each other - we have to put one in another room, or pick Fin up to let Teagan out of the room.
They also can't even play in the garden together.
We thought it was Teagan at first - but after watching Fin - Fin pushes, Teagan submits, but Fin keeps pushing, so as you can imagine, Teagan gets angry and snaps - then Fin snaps back - and voila - a fight
Luckily they both get to spend a lot of time with us, and when I do work - one can come to work with me.

I hope you manage to sort something out.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
How awful for you. I can't imagine how hard it must be to make this decision. It must be horrible having to separate them permanently, and if they're on edge all the time, it must be really hard for them too. Would somewhere like Wiccaweys be able to give you some advice? Hugs from us.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
oh no im sorry to hear that

no advice just *hugs*

Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Don't know what to say but sending hugs to you all.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Hugs.
I am so very sorry to hear this.
I am not quite sure what to say other than to send you a hug.
Chatting to Wiccaways could help.

Would writing down all the triggers help?

Loads of hugs. xxxx

ETA : The chances are the only thing Tip has done is give Stumpy more confidence more quickly...and you could well have been in this position without him, just a little further down the line. More hugs xxxx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 09:34 PM
aww, poor hoki . that must be a horrible situation to be in. my uncle used to have two dogs who fought all the time, he had to seperate them. one would be in the kitchen with him and the other would have the utility room and garden, and he would rotate them. the only time they wouldnt fight was on walks. for him though, it was his old dog charlie who got jealous when he got dusty. poor dusty was a big softie and only fought coz he had to, sadly the fights only ended after dusty was pts as he had cancer and, by that time, was too old to have an op. but he managed them like that for years, must have been about 9 years in all...

i hope you manage to get everything sorted (((hugs)))
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 10:11 PM
I am so sorry to be reading this and can only imagine how bad you are feeling.
I hope there is someway that you can keep both of them but know that you wouldn't even be thinking this way if you hadn't given it a lot of thought.

Take care hun and you know where I am if you need to let off steam x
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I have two girls that I have to keep apart, thankfully a baby gate is sufficient, and I am able to pass one dog by the other if I hald collars without it kicking off, would you not be able to put a baby gate on the doorway into your lounge? this way one could be in with you the other could if it wanted lie near the gate, and swap them over a few times during the evening? it is manageable, do both dogs "normally" lie in the lounge with you in the evenings? I know probably if left to their own devises my lot would be spread all over the house.

Mo
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »