Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Getting a puppy spayed ... some Q's

I have Lotta (stafford) going into the vets on the 28th of this month to get her spaying done, she will only just be 6months will this have any effect on her growing as it is getting done at a young age?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 02:12 PM
We have never had any problems & had all ours done before a season. To help hormones settle after it we always start them off on a 3-monthly course of Eve Primrose Oil - 1 x 500mg capsule per day.
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know so will watch this thread with interest as I have been advised to wait until my GSD pup has had her first season as it will help her mature if she has a season? I'm sure the wealth of experience on here will help x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
I have Lotta (stafford) going into the vets on the 28th of this month to get her spaying done, she will only just be 6months will this have any effect on her growing as it is getting done at a young age?
Yes it will. Sex hormones govern not only the ability to reproduce but growth plate closure.

When dogs are neutered prior to their growth being complete it delays the closing of the growth plates with the result that many dogs grow taller and spindlier than they would if allowed to grow up before being made infertile.

You may think that is not an issue however there are several studies that suggest that this alters the angles of certain bones leaving the dog more at risk to certain conditons and injuries.

Also the risk of spay related incontinence is increased the younger the operation is carried out.

I don't think anyone would consider it perfectly normal to give a girl a hysterectomy prior to 18 so I am continually amazed that people think it is perfectly acceptable to do the same do dogs.

I am actually pro neutering, but only after the dog/bitch has reached maturity and the long bones have closed ie at circa 18 months for large dogs (slightly earler/later for small/giant breeds).

Remember at ANY age there are pros and cons to neutering, whilst it decreases the likelihood of some health risks it INCREASES the risk of others.

A lot depends on your particular environmental circumstances. If you have an unfenced garden, an entire male, have no control over your dog and do not want to compete, then early spaying may be best for you.

Have you read the following?

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Dogsey will not let me open any links, but no I have not seen what info is on the links, thanks for taking the time out to reply many thanks guys
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Best one to advise is your vet.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
Dogsey will not let me open any links, but no I have not seen what info is on the links, thanks for taking the time out to reply many thanks guys

You are welcome, unfortunately vets rarely, if ever, inform clients of both the pros and cons of neutering, some do not even know there ARE any cons.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Vet's and some rescues will push for early neutering, but I would recommend waiting for as long as you can before getting it done.
I support neutering, I think it should be done by all pet dog owners, unless you are showing or breeding or need your dog to be intact it should be done, but only after the dog has finished maturing, I would recommend atleast one season, two to me is better.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-06-2011, 08:04 PM
The only thing that is making me think of getting it done befor the first heat is having a full 1 yeah old male in the house as well ... hmmm ...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 08:20 PM
We got our female done before her first season as we had an intact male in the house who can't be neutered.

She has never had a health problem yet, never since visited the vet since she was speyed (she's 4 now).

However, she has always been 'puppish' in which i mean she is all play, happy, lively and this could be linked to the fact we got her speyed so young, you often hear of this, not really a problem though - she's ace
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >