Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephieanne
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Elderly girl diagnosed with CDRM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. My beautiful girl Sadie who is a white German Shepard has just been diagnosed with CDRM. She's approx 14. She's been struggling with her hind legs over the past week inc getting stuck on the stairs, having fits of severe shaking and crying in pain. When visiting the vets he's said she has this condition and prescribed her PLT tablets twice a day.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? It's come on so sudden. She's my absolute world so I'm willing to try anything to help her.

Tia
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Hi Stephieann, I have no experience with this condition but have read that physiotherapy or hydrotherapy for dogs may help. I'm sorry Sadie has this condition, I wish her and you well.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Wish you both well too.(( hugs))
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Degenerative myelopathy isn't a painful disease. It is paralysis that mimics pain. I think our 11-12 year old GSD may be developing it as her arthritis (which IS painful) worsens and I've seen her drag a leg at times. I haven't bothered to get an official diagnosis, as she is old and there are no real treatments anyway. If she is crying out in pain, then it is arthritis or perhaps some hip dysplasia going on most likely. Unfortunately, there is no real treatment and the disease is progressive. Regular exercise (hydrotherapy as the disease worsens) can help slow the progression of the disease, and keeping excess weight off will help as well. Pain medication will not help this condition as there is no pain, it's paralysis.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Hello Stephieanne , I am sorry to learn Sadie has developed CDRM. We have had a couple of members with dogs who developed this condition .

No two dogs are the same and there is no way of knowing how rapidly the condition will progress with Sadie .

I would try to exercise Sadie when she is able, hydrotherapy can help with this. Here is a list of CHA centers...
http://canine-hydrotherapy.org/find-a-centre.html.

Keeping an eye on her weight is advisable too and also for urinary tract infections and sores on the feet .

I am sure your vet will be able to advise you on any supplements which may be helpful.
Stephieanne
New Member!
Female 

24-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your comments.
Sadie is blind after progressive retinal atrophy finally took her sight, we had her right eye removed 2 years as she was in a lot of pain with the pressure.
It's hard to take her out as she can't walk far and she has no bearings, she obviously bumps into everything if I'm not careful.
I spoke to my vet about hydrotherapy but he advised in his honest opinion that it wouldn't help too much.
I just want her to be happy, I'm not ready to be without her yet.