Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 12:42 AM
He may be stressed.
He is new to you.

One of the effets of stress is the rise of adrenaline which causes appetite loss among other things. One thing you can't achieve with a stressed human or dog, is teaching new things. And memory ability is out of the window, too.

Better more high value treats may work, or just give the lad some time. My puppy loved clicker training from the get go, but my oldie rescue girl still doesn't get it.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2012, 01:43 PM
He is eating fine from his bowl, he just won't take treats out of my hand.
I have tried giving him treats out of my hand without a clicker and it's the same. I tried giving him treats since he came to live with us really but he's just not interested in food from hand.

I did try clicker with ball and he definitely responded to that positively, although not sure anything would scare him away from ball!

I do understand the need to make sure he is relaxed, settled and happy with us. This is something we obviously want. However, he is also a dog which as SmokeyBear mentioned - has been able to get away with too much.
He's daily pushing the boundaries to see what he can get away with. My partner and I are continually making excuses for him; 'He's probably never been for walk in countryside' 'He'll probably listen more when he's neutered' 'We shouldn't put new boundaries on him while he's getting settled'

I just worry the more we let him get away with the more of a problem we'll have in a few months time.

Plus surely training via positive reinforcement, should be just that ... a positive, enjoyable, bonding experience for both sides?

[Sorry I really don't mean to come across as though I am asking questions, then arguing with everyone's advice, even though it probably seems that way right now!]
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 02:06 PM
He doesn't get food unless it is from you. No bowl.

I wouldn't pressure him yet, just allow him to choose to eat from your hand for a few days, then ask for something simple in return.

rune
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2012, 02:10 PM
i'd agree that feeding from your hand, him not being given the option to eat from a bowl would be the best idea right now. just sit on the floor with him & offer him food from your hand. if he won't take it try again later when he's hungrier. it should only be a matter of time before he's hungry enough that he will take it. good luck
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't sit on the floor personally-----but thats me!

rune
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Definately hand feed and no food from bowl
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I would suggest you go back a step and train him to take treats first.
With dogs who are not used to being trained with treats, the concept is alien and they are looking for the catch.
My first GSP took 3 months before he`d take a biscuit from me. Once he`d cottoned on, we progressed very fast.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone who suggested no bowl!!

Working a treat (excuse the pun). Still won't take kibble but happy taking raw meat, which is fine because I wanted to move him onto a mostly raw based diet. Although, I think he won't take boring 'ole biscuits when he knows he could get meat instead - I'm sure this dog is training me not the other way around!!

We are reacting well to the clicker, although I think I've made a mistake as every time I pick the clicker up he looks expecting a treat before it's clicked.

With time we'll probably go to training classes, but in the mean time stick to basics with the clicker and meals from hand.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Glad things are going well

My dog knows it's training and treat time when the clicker comes out. She even tries to bring it to me sometimes to encourage some training
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2