Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Woah look at that dude.

I had the dogs off lead yesterday (Diesel is still muzzled) and as I'm wanting to improve their recall a bit I'm taking treats out with me, the problem is Honey doesn't like going more then ten foot away from me if I have treats in my bag (she might miss out on one you know ), so she becomes boring to Diesel off lead, and Diesel decides that he wants to play with strangers but does it in a way that he's close, but not too close to them.

Anyway I had the dogs with me, and Diesel was running around at 3/4 speed, in a way that still allows him to smell the flowers when he saw a couple of what I assume is sixth formers, who watched him for a while, and one goes to his mate 'woah look at that dude', and Diesel was happy to amuse them, and decided to take of for a lap of the football field, at this point the boys started walking down the middle of the field, watching him the whole time, and Diesel decided to come back to me when one of the boys whisteled and Diesel shot off (this did make me mad, and if it happens again I will say something), so I watched Diesel run off, and when I thought that he got to far I whisteled him back (he had passed the boys by now) and on the way back he really went full speed for most of the field, and the boys were in awe of him (tbh so I was I with his recall, it always feels great to me when one of them being hounds comes back first time).

It made me realise though, sometimes having them around all the time I forget how beutiful they are, I mean sighthounds seem to have the ability to pull people out of the busy days, to stand and stare, and I've also seen people take some peace out of it, and the dogs running has stopped people arguing too, as it prooves a distraction, and I believe that its a simple form of magic, and is beutiful to see a sighthound in full flight, as although all dogs look great when they are happy, seeing a sighthound in full speed seems, to me at least something else. And I can't wait until the day that I have the chance to own a pure breed, and I can't honestly see myself without a hound of some sort, now I've had the chance to live with such a animal, I don't want to be without it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Diesel decided to come back to me when one of the boys whisteled and Diesel shot off (this did make me mad, and if it happens again I will say something),

Er why are you mad? Is it against the law to whistle?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Diesel decided to come back to me when one of the boys whisteled and Diesel shot off (this did make me mad, and if it happens again I will say something),

Er why are you mad? Is it against the law to whistle?
No its not, but I wasn't happy that two strangers called my dog away from me
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 10:33 AM
What a lovely post, I know exactly what you mean
Recently, Axel has become a lot more confident and will now often try and entice dogs to play chase...the owners often stand there in amazement and some have even said their dogs will be miffed because normally they're the fastest on the field!
I do love seeing any dog run and have fun, and I don't know if it's because he's my dog, or because he's a Greyhound, but I LOVE watching him in full flow, enjoying the magic of the moment.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I know what you mean about other dogs previously being the fasest ones, I'm waiting for the day that mine have that when another younger and faster sighthound comes along, but there don't seem to be two many around here, although I was speaking to a man today who use to have five Greys, and now just has the one, the first thing I said to him was 'well you must be immune to their tails by now' and he knew exactly what I meant lol.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I know what you mean about other dogs previously being the fasest ones, I'm waiting for the day that mine have that when another younger and faster sighthound comes along, but there don't seem to be two many around here, although I was speaking to a man today who use to have five Greys, and now just has the one, the first thing I said to him was 'well you must be immune to their tails by now' and he knew exactly what I meant lol.
It's always nice to meet someone who's got shared experiences
You mentioned getting a purebreed one day...which sighthound would you get? I can't imagine not having one either
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 05:22 PM
The sight of them in full flow is beautiful. Even with Gracie (half whippet) looks amazing when she stretches right out and just runs. I could watch for hours!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
No its not, but I wasn't happy that two strangers called my dog away from me
Then train for it, expect people to do silly things, and then you can actively train your dog to ignore them!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 05:53 PM
I love watching dogs run

There are some lovely Lurchers and Greyhounds at our local park, and watching them play and run is so much fun. One of them doesn't just run, he also kind of bounces around - it's hilarious!

Until he played with them, Dexter was pretty much the swiftest dog in any group of dogs - when they arrived and he first met them, Dexter ran with them for a bit and then you could almost see him realising he was never going to equal their speed! He gave up and decided to chill while watching them
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-05-2011, 06:44 PM
my lurcher in full flow at peak fitness as she is hitting right now almost brings tears to my eyes, she literally flows.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >