View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:08 PM

how much water a day should a dog drink?

wasnt sure wether to put this here or dog health section ....

Just wondered how much water on average a day a dog should drink?
Normally i clean and refill the dog's water bowls twice a day (holds about 1 litre of water) but the past week or so ive been having to re-fill it about 4 times a day, does that sound normal for 2 dogs (axl is drinking the most of it and he is pee'ing more too)
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I've always wondered this too, as Bodhi drinks like a horse. She always has, since she was small. She will drink from any and every puddle she passes too! She does eat dry food, so I am sure that has something to do with it. And she is lovely and healthy, so it doesn't concern me too much.....

I'd like to know what is average too
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Before we had Pippin, Tia would drink about 2 bowls per day - after Pip came to live here the water bowl is refilled 4 / 5 times per day
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:23 PM
The vet did tell me this but I've forgotten! I think it varies depending on each dog and how much exercise they do
But if your dog has recently started drinking and weeing more I think it's worth checking out to see if they've got an infection or something
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:29 PM
What ever they want, the thing to note is if the water consumption is less or more than usual, particularly more as this can be a sign of serious illness, less may mean that their diet has changed and what they are eating contains more water. Tinned food is about 70% water where as dry food is probably less than .05% from this you will realise that the amount a dog needs will depended on, not only the ambient temperature and humidity and the amount of activity, but also on the type of food being consumed. LOL that is about the longest way I can think of to say there is no norm for dogs, it is what is the norm for a particular dog who has a stable suroundings and the same food, in this case if the norm changes the alarm bells should ring.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Axl dogs vary in the amount they consume and as Thordell says a number of factors have to be taken into consideration.

If you change from a 'normal' food to a dry complete food the water consumption goes up considerably but seems to settle as the dogs digestive system adapts to dry food.

If you haven't changed the food and there is a sudden increase in water consumption it is wise to get it checked out by the vet.
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanx for the replies. Nothing much has changed, they eat dry food, get loads of walk/runs and are otherwise healthy, though i have had the heating on a bit more as i been feeling the cold. Going to phone the vet on monday just be sure there is no infection or anything ( i've developed a paranoia about diabetes too lol the drinking and pee'ing more is a sign, already me and my daughter got it whats the chances of the dog too )
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Very little I would think. But he may have an infection or a kidney problem so have it checked out, better safe than sorry.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by AxlAndChaos
Thanx for the replies. Nothing much has changed, they eat dry food, get loads of walk/runs and are otherwise healthy, though i have had the heating on a bit more as i been feeling the cold. Going to phone the vet on monday just be sure there is no infection or anything ( i've developed a paranoia about diabetes too lol the drinking and pee'ing more is a sign, already me and my daughter got it whats the chances of the dog too )
Hi Axl if a dog has diabetes they frequently exhibit other symptoms such as weight loss,an insatiable appetite and an odd breath.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm forever filling my water bowls up. As soon as I fill it, they both have a drink, especially after eating and excercise, but they do like clean fresh water all the time, I never leave my water for longer than a couple of hours, I always change it, but then my dogs are spoilt! Today they had the bucket out in the garden coz we needed them out of the way, and I must say they drank almost half of it, coz there's just something about a bucket of water.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >