Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikkiflynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Archie has a hernia - any info appreciated

Took Archie my 12 week old CKCS to the vets last night, he had a slight lump on his stomach that over the last two weeks has double in size. The vet say's it's a hernia and just to monitor it as he gets older. The poor little sole has an ear infection as well.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about dogs having hernias?

Thanks Nikki x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi Nikkiflynn hernias (I guess we are talking unbilical) are very common and in most cases get smaller as the puppy grows. If the vet has seen it and it is not large I wouldn't be too concerned
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Nikkiflynn
Took Archie my 12 week old CKCS to the vets last night, he had a slight lump on his stomach that over the last two weeks has double in size. The vet say's it's a hernia and just to monitor it as he gets older. The poor little sole has an ear infection as well.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about dogs having hernias?

Thanks Nikki x

Yes Benji, our Bichon had one when we first got him - although I didn't notice for a few days so I rang the kennels up where we got him from and they arranged for me to take him back when their vet was there. The vet had a look and said it was probably better if they operated on him which they did when he was 5 months old. He has been fine since, no problems whatsover.
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

24-03-2006, 02:15 PM
My german shepherd had one. Was no problem, got a lot smaller as he grew.

One of my cavaliers has one, it looks very small now he's grown, can hardly see it.

And if the vet has seen it and he's not too concerned, i wouldn't worry about it.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Awww...bless his little heart, hope he's ok
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 04:28 PM
its nothing to worry about a lot of cavaliers have them Bonnie and Inca both do ....just keep an eye
buster1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2006, 10:30 PM
hernias do occur, it not really much 2 woori about unless they do get bigger, you can get it operated on wen he is 6 months old ,but do monitor it, and u dont realli need to get it operated on if it stays small unless you wish to do so.
Nikkiflynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, not so worried about it now and it doesn't seem to bother Archie, which is the main thing.

Nikki x