Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2012, 01:03 PM

I didn't get eaten alive in the end!

I didn't get eaten alive in the end!

Those who know what my last thread was about with Betsy and a particular trainer at puppy class using "methods" I didn't feel were appropriate, will be reassured to know that they didn't have a go at me, wuss I am with any confrontation!

And, the trainer wasn't there for half the lesson, the head trainer assured me he had words and to dont listen to a word he says as he hasn't been there long. He also said whatever ideas I can bring, and work, to use in class, USE! He was amazed at how calm betsy was on her harness, did a beatiful settle, she barked in total for a grand three times throughout the whole class (This is a MASSIVE achievement- she has been barking every ten seconds as she gets so overstimulated/aroused) and the dogsey kong idea worked a treat- she was used as a demo dog!!

He also agreed to update his methods on teaching the settle command and they were no longer teaching that method anymore (erm..wow!) but instead my method!Basically said just keep doing what I'm doing as shes doing really well.

He said that he had told off the trainer who advised me to give lead corrections and instead just distract her with commands so she cant get a chance to jump up in the first place.

Pheww. Thanks so much for your help- you have no idea how much better I feel!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Great news. And how nice that you were listened to.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 01:41 PM
That is really great news - I bet you feel great
Good on you for sticking to your guns
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2012, 01:42 PM
That is really great news - I bet you feel great
Good on you for sticking to your guns
Great news. And how nice that you were listened to.
I know I felt SO relieved!
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
And here is a pic of her in her new harness- she loves it. Shes SO much calmer, but her tails waggier, and she pays so much more attention to me!

She even stands still to let me put it on!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 04:14 PM
So glad to hear you had a positive result at training class this time. You were right to question that original trainer you had, and I bet you're glad you did now!

My 7 yr old neighbour's kid could teach him a thing or two about dogs, as he even knows how to get the big rugby ball off zena by putting his knee on it lol, bit like that kong idea you had given to you, because when he does that, Zena steps back and lays down nicely, waiting....and waiting

The trainer I had at my last class where I walked out didn't like me having my dog in a harness, she tried and tried to get me into a half check (the tighter the better in her opinion), but I was having none of it, I stuck with my harness, and I could see that "look" she would give me everytime I walked through that door. This was the same trainer who shouted at my dog when she wouldn't go with her to the middle of the hall (she didn't want to leave me ya see), so she then dragged her as she shouted some more, until she sat nicely and took a treat so that she could demonstrate something. Funny how the other trainer I had at a previous puppy class always used my dog for demonstrations just because she was so good, and Zena never objected, she loved that trainer, but sadly, I had to leave it half way through. Jeesus Christ, my puppy was only 15 weeks old at the time when she did that too! Needless to say, being a smart little puppy, she avoided her like the plague from that day on, hence the reason I had to leave coz she took my particular class,. and they are ADPT and lots more too, you would have thought they'd know better wouldn't you, but hey ho!

I understand their theories about these harnesses, in that you can't teach heelwork properly, as sometimes the dog will want to pull against you in a harness, BUT, if you teach your heelwork away from the class OFFlead, you're halfway there aren't you! All the best, so glad it's going to work out for you, and what a lovely piccy of her looking all demure poking her tongue out at you lol!
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks so much I am!! I am pleased to announce, without any treats, she walked beautifully on her walk just now! Even, would you believe, when she saw a cat. And two dogs across the road. She will heel off lead quite nicely as well and around dogs she knows. Other dogs its like "HEY! INVESTIGATION PLAYTIME!" but she is getting loads better!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I always say to people, Guide Dogs walk nicely in harnesses.........