View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Have had several dogs cremated but had the cheaper box & scattered the ashes in my garden after a time . Still have my last one to go in the living room. Will be thinking of you & your friend at this sad time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Our vets cremate all the pets PTS, the lady who runs the crematorium works @ the vets & if the body/ashes are not requred back by the owners then the pets are cremated daily in a mass cremation. If owners want their pets back then then the pet is cremated indivually the day they are collected & returned to the owner in a nice casket with an engraved brass plate, they also allow a month for payment
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Bless him. What a lovely picture.

After Mo died, we were offered several options. One was a mass cremation, with no ashes etc returned, was about £30 I think. The next option was a cremation with a few other dogs, with some ashes returned as best they could. (The ininerator is not full for that one, just a handful of animals) Some ashes were returned, but they weren't necessarily all your dog, if you see what I mean. That was around £90 and then the full only dog in the incinerator cremation with a wooden box with the ashes was around £150.

This is the crematorium that my vets use, they picked him up and were fantastic. I spoke to the people who run the crematorium at the time and they were lovely. It may be one you could use.
http://www.petcrematorium.uk.com/services.htm
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 01:04 PM
If you really want to know the body is bagged and frozen until it is collected and cremated. Most vets can arrange for individual cremation but the mass cremation is included in the PTS fee even if you wish to remove the body and deal with it yourself.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 08:19 PM
No not a nice subject but I live in the North West not far from North Wales. I opted for private cremation and my vet arranged it all. I must have the nicest vet (he sent me a sympathy card) and when we came to collect Jake's ashes the bill was £78 I was surprised to say the least. The receptionist asked us to bring all un-used medication when we went to pick up the ashes. So we did and she did no less than deduct them from the price. I'm sure that Bruce (the vet ) did not charge for the anaestetic (think thats the spelling) Well you know what I mean.
So for the actual putting to sleep of Jake and his ashes back the total cost was £78.
I think it's about £100 where we live which is Runcorn cheshire.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Aw so sorry and I think your question is a lovely one. We all want to do our best by our dogs.

I have a rather sadder story. When my last dog died I paid to have him cremated and would have preferred to have had his ashes to bury them in the garden, scatter them etc. However, I was in such a state at the time I just let the vets deal with them.

At the time I recalled working for a small businessman in the past who had brutally kicked his golden retriever in front of me because the dog snarled at another member of staff (the dog was routinely brought into the offices and on that day had not had water etc. etc.). His business went bust but he then went on to run a dog-cremation business/service and I would not have wanted him dealing with the remains of my dog.

Sorry to sound so bleak but it had a big effect on me with respect to dogs/money/business etc.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 07:39 AM
I had to have my young gsd pts and i opted to have his ashes back in a casket. It cost £150 all in with the vets appt and i was told there was no hurry to pay. I was lucky i had the cash there and then but i would have been given the time i needed so i could have my boy back. I scattered his ashes at the beach and kept the flowers and card.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
How terrible for you all. I see you are in N Wales. When our lovely Poppy (English Setter) was PTS 2 years ago - we took her to the cemetry near Holywell. They were very kind and respectful. We collected her ashes in a lovely box but it was nearly £200.

We dont know what happens if you cant afford this but hope it helps your poor friends make the decision.

Thalice, Poppys best setter friend
ShannonDelaney
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2009, 02:22 PM
On saturday my dog bexy got put to sleep by the PDSA

And he got cremated but i just want to know where he was put after he got put to sleep in the vet ?

Thanksss xxx
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
Not a nice question to ask i know but i am asking on behalf of a friend

my friend has to have her dog put down as he has a tumour

over the last few days he has got alot worse

i went there tonight and i am going vets with them tomorrow

the owners have asked me to ask if anyone knows what happens to the dog after he has been put to sleep if they do not want the body

they are talking about burial, but just wanted to know and i said i would try to find out for them for the morning

thank you

I had to put our dog to sleep 2 weeks ago and he was cremated and we got his ashes in a beautifully decorated wooden casket with his name engraved on it.

If you were to go for burial im not sure what happens.

Kobebear
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >