View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Anyone used CARPRIEVE medication for their dog's arthritis?

Was it any good??!

I posted a while ago about Zeke and his arthritis, he seems to be having a flare up and has got a bad limp and general stiffness.

We're trying a few natural products, he wears a bioflow magnotheraphy collar, he's on Glucosamine hydrochondritin msn, 'Get up' csj herbs. But we had to start him on meds He's happy heading out for a walk, but I can't bear seeing him on his way home from a (short) walk limping and going the pace of a snail like he does, he had 'Loxicom' for 2 weeks - no effect, so the vet wanted to try something different, he's now on his second week of Carprieve but no difference really, he's got another weeks worth of that medication and i'm really hoping it will clear it up !

Metacam didn't work for him a few years ago with something else, Tramadol sends him spaced out, I don't want him having too many meds since his chemo! He can't go under a GA for xrays. After 2 good check ups now at the vets the vet does seem confident it's nothing more sinister, so why isn't he getting any better?

We've tried to rest him as much as we can too..

Also, he seems to be weeing more, longer? Does anyone know if this is a side effect of the drug?

p.s I want to take him for acupuncture on his bad shoulder but my OH won't let me.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:06 PM
i get carprodyl for ty's hd, they seem to work ok for him.

both tablets seem to be used for the same thing, but maybe the carpodyl is srtonger

Carprieve (Norocarp) 50mg tablets contain 50mg carprofen.

Indicated for analgesia and reduction of chronic inflammation in arthritis and degenerative joint disease in dogs. Carprieve (Norocarp) can also be used in the management of post-operative pain.

Administer orally to dogs at an initial dose of 2 to 4 mg carprofen/kg bodyweight/day to be given in two equally divided doses. The dose may be reduced to 2 mg carprofen/kg bodyweight/day administered as a single daily dose after 7 days. Do not exceed the stated dose. Do not use in dogs suffering from cardiac, hepatic or renal disease.
Carprodyl F 50mg Flavoured Tablets contain 50mg of carprofen per tablet.

Carprodyl 50mg is indicated for analgesia and the reduction of chronic inflammation, for example in degenerative joint disease and osteoarthritis in the dog . Carprodyl F 50mg tablets can also be used in the management of post-operative pain in dogs.

The tablets are flavoured and are readily consumed by most dogs. An initial dose of 4 mg carprofen/kg bodyweight/day is recommended to be given as a single dose or in two equally divided doses. Subject to clinical response the dose may be reduced. Duration of treatment will be dependent upon the response seen. Long-term treatment should be under regular veterinary supervision. Do not exceed stated dose.

Do not use in cats or in pregnant or lactating bitches. Do not use in dogs suffering from cardiac, hepatic or renal disease. Carprofen must not be administered with glucocorticoids.
i hope zeke is feeling better soon xx
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
My dog's currently on Carprieve for her SLO when needed but she's been limping quite bad for a while now so i've had her on full dosage and she's still limping so it doesn't seem to be doing a lot. I'm not 100% sure her SLO is the problem of the limp though.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Carprieve/Norocarp are a generic brand of Rimadyl and belong to the group of NSAIDs. Some of the nsaids can make the dog more thirsty and hungry, hence a little more peeing.

Is your dosage correct for the dog, and have you discussed it with the vet ?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Might be worth giving green lipped mussel a try. Can't hurt and often does a lot of good. Made a big difference to my guy
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2011, 06:47 PM
When you say 'Loxicom' are you sure you don't mean Meloxicam ? Meloxicam is Metacam.

I would ask your vet if ok to up the dosage.

I had meant to ask, which limb is causing pain, or could it be the spine ? Tramadol tends to be more effective if the pain originates or thereabouts in the spine.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys xx

lisa01uk87, maybe that'll be the next one to try if this doesn't work

Magic, i presume it's the right dosage, it was what the vet prescribed and he weighed him etc.. the same vet prescribed the loxicom first for 2 weeks which did nothing (pretty sure it was definately loxicom) then has now prescribed the Carprieve, first for a week but it did nothing, and says we are to try it for another 2 weeks then report back if no improvement. Maybe I should ask him to up the dosage for this third week. Yes, he is more hungry too! That makes sense then re: the NSAIDs, thankyou.

How long do you give such meds to work, is 3 weeks a reasonable time for the Caprieve?

It's his front right shoulder where the limp seems to be, but when manipulated there was no obvious discomfort there at all, and it comes on only after he's been laid down or walked a bit too far. He had xrays of it a while back and it showed up the 'shadow' of a bit of arthritis..

Tramadol sends him loopy - he cries and cries.. he's had this problem with it before but the vet persuaded me to try a lower dosage this time (when he first prescribed the loxicom) just for 3 days but he still cried and cried...and doesn't settle.

Brierley - thanks for that, i just had a quick search and it sounds really good, will just run it by my vet, i worry too much since his chemo that anything new will clash with something, but being natural i'm sure it's fine!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:18 PM
i didn't want to say incase i was wrong but having seen magic's post i would presume that carprieve and carprodyl are the same drug, ty has been on carprofen, rymadyl(sp) and carprodyl all the same drug but given by different vets though.

i hope you find something to help zeke soon x hugs to you x x x

for what its worth i think you have given the carprieve a fair shot and would speak to your vet about the possibility of upping his dosage x
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I previously had a dog with bad arthritic type pain which none of the usual nsaids could apparently effect pain relief, I had also administered steroids.

I gave another nsaid Zubrin, and the difference was apparent in one hour. Might be worth giving it a shot...metacam, rimadyl, previcox, ibuprofen, didn't seem to effect good pain relief for this dog, but the Zubrin did immediately.

There will be one which your dog responds to...it is worth the effort to try. If the pain is neurological in origin, then tramadol or the opiate based pain killers are much more effective due to their different action.
PurelyNature
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh Akitagirl, pm on my email address purelynature@hotmail.co.uk. My girl has been on Carprieve for 8 years for severe HD and Osteo.

We have been through all the research, tablets, herbal, hydrotherapy, weight issues - everything. We have just managed to reach a happy medium after a real serious set back last year when we thought it was the end. Holly's story is on my website but all I seem to do is be promoting my website and I am sure I am going to get told off (rightly so).

But do have a look <> I am quite passionate about this area of difficulty as I have spent all these last 8 years agonising over my girl, managing the condition and researching the latest drugs and operations (for hip dysplasia).

I hope you can get your baby sorted, it's just awful to see them struggling and in pain. x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >