Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 05:58 PM

Something Different to Train?

Well, since we've had to stop our training classes (they finished for the winter) Tamino has been gong bonkers. So I've decided to train him some different things. But I am stumped of things to train. I can think of somethings, but frankly, they could be better.

Right at the moment I am training him to ride the skateboard, but it takes more time that other things as you have to have good weather for the board, and as it does with people. You don't get balance right from the start. As I can vouch for And we are working on "speak"

We've also done alot of the "101 things to do with a box", but he's not been so motivated.

He knows all the basics, as well as: weaving though legs (but only 3 or 4 steps then he brakes out), give me your paw, roll over, and thats about it

So any suggestions on something fun to train?

Thanks!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:18 PM
given where you live ( and to test your training abilities)
what about SKI-ING
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:24 PM
:smt005 :smt005

I already ski-jore with Penny, to an extent (she steers and controls the speed ), but we haven't gone for a few years.

It could also be a wee bit hard, taking into account we have no snow
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:32 PM
How about tracking????

Karen
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Thats a good idea.

But we already do 2 bouts of tracking a week. Each one is about 45-50 meters long, with turns. It wears him out for the rest of the day. But the days are getting shorter, so I only have time to lay the track on weekends.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 09:13 PM
y not try and teach him to dance like that woman on the video! hehe.

or teach him left and right and then to look left and right at every road b4 he crosses
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, good idea Jenny

see you in 5 years (it'll take me that long )

No really, might give it a go. But you would have to start training Indie for it too
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Some of the fun obedience things you can teach are: scent discrimination; directed jumping; retrieve over the jump; directed retrieve; signal work; seekback; food refusal; drop on recall.

Tricks: walk backwards through your legs; pick up toys & put them in the basket; bang dead; pull a trolley; teach names of various things and get him to fetch; walk in a circle round you at a distance; half-passes (good if you want to dance); bow; fetch a tissue when you sneeze; etc. etc.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Ok, I've asked this question before, but never got a clear answer What is a half pass ops:
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by gordon lover
Ok, I've asked this question before, but never got a clear answer What is a half pass ops:
Kate, a half pass is when you step to the side crossing one leg in front of the other. If you are going left (that's easier to teach than right) you take a sideways step with your left foot & then cross your right leg in front of, or behind, your left, then another step with the left & cross with the right, and so on. The dog should make the same movement by crossing its front legs as it moves sideways with you. The process is reversed for moving to the right, i.e. step sideways with right foot & bring left foot across.

Not sure if that qualifies as a 'clear' answer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >