Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Should we be more worried about people selling pets on social network sites

I am seeing more and more pets for sale on social network sites

My wife shows me page after page of dogs for sale or rehoming...

If its an easy outlet for people to advertise and they see other pups selling i wonder if it encourages people into trying to make so called easy money from their pets....

Did Ebay ever allow pets sales???

Sorry folks this thread is being reposted as the original one mentioned a specific site - we're free to talk about SNs in general, not specific ones
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-04-2012, 12:09 PM
yes defo murf m8 i see it daily and its so upsetting, there passed about like tit tat its like a animal car boot sale. it should all be banned imo.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree although there are a number of 'car boot type' sites on social media pages that ban the sale of pets but the internet is an easy way to make money with no checks, not sure how this can be stopped other than people surfing , I know of a friend who constantly buys or takes free dogs from sites just to make sure they dont go to the wrong home and then rehomes them to good homes, it deffo gives the money makers an opportunity
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I think social network sites can be useful for passing info on about particular dogs in need of new homes.

I have helped some of our longer stay dogs for GSD Rescue find foster or forever homes through "advertising" them on one of those sites. I am currently using it to try and find a new home for siberian husky that belongs to my hairdresser and have had some interest by her photo/details being passed on to the mushing/canicross community (fingers crossed it works out).

I think any form of media can be abused and see the social network sites as no different.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 11:25 PM
They can be abused though, folk setting up groups to buy and 'swop', its the swopping that gets me, actually really upsets me
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I will always remember someone on a selling site wanting to swap his blue staff for a moped...
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2012, 11:51 PM
I just don't understand how people can do things like that, Murf. I found it hard enough to part with cats that I'd rescued and was rehoming, but I just couldn't keep them all.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2012, 02:42 PM
The dog trade is and always will be a crooked business.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I suppose if it is a SN and if I'm thinking of the right one? Then all the people would be friends? So hopefully anyone showing interest would be known to the person?

As for the online puppy selling sites, when I was looking for a pup before xmas some of the sellers on there were shocking! One woman wanted to swap her 9 month chihuahua for a pug or french bulldog! Others were offering pups as 'ideal presents' that could be held onto & delivered on xmas day!!!!!

Regarding rescues advertising specific dogs on SN's I'm ok with this as it spreads the word, and the people would still be vetted. Although some of the people that put comments on there enquiring about dogs !?!