View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm the same as a few on here, wouldn't fancy any of the toy breeds, me and my son are both really clumsy, we'd always be standing on it.

Much as I would LOVE to have one of the massive breeds like a St Bernard, I only have a weeny council house so they are out too
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Lots I'm afraid.

Gundogs-whilst I like individual dogs there is no breed in this group I would ever consider owing

Hounds-Again none in the group do anything for me nor could make me want one

Terriers-None again except the Border Terrier

Working breeds-Again none although I love Great Danes-I would never consider owning one

Utility Group-Again a group that doesn't do much for me except the Keeshonden which I dearly love(I know one of the breeders from the early days & I fell for her dogs hook line & sinker)

Toy Group-none except the Cavalier

Pastoral Group-not the Pembrokeshire Corgi(I prefer the Cardiganshire), Rough & Smooth Collies, PONs(way too many health probs in these three breeds). Any of the corded/matted breeds, OES, ASD(much prefer the BC), BSD except the Malinois, any of the Pyrennean breeds.

I could go on & list lots of breeds.

Basically I like a highly intelligent dog with work/prey drive, with a certain degree of independance.

I love my BCs, GSDs(German working bloodlines), Cardiganshire Welsh Corgis, Shetland Sheepdogs, Keeshonden, ACD, Kelpies, Malinois, Border Terriers & Cavaliers. As for the others I like all dogs, but would only ever own these 10 breeds
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Well for me anything goes.... As i own toy and giant breeds.
Although most dogs i would be more likely to own are the workers.
There is any a few breeds of dogs that don't really appeal to me, and would probably never own.But saying that if one of these breeds was hurt and needed help i would, i couldn't see any breed in trouble and do nothing.

The points made about small/toys breeds are things i considered before getting bud, believe me you adapt to size so don't let it put you off.
The points about smell and hair, well i can honestly say leo's don't smell, providing you maintain their coat the same as the next dog.
The hair is a issue if you don't want to groom on a very regular basis.
Leo's don't drool, this is why we finally choose a leo instead of a neffie.
At the end of the day we all have different choice and likes/dislikes.
As long as every one is happy with their choice and love their dogs, is the main thing.
For me who know's whats next, maybe a couple of dobbies, maybe boxers again. I think once you have owned and learnt about a breed you tend to go back, they all leave their mark on you and the time you shared.
I don't regret getting any of my dogs from toy to giant, they all love us in the same way, what ever size or shape.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I dont think I would ever opt for a border collie, gorgeous as they are. I couldnt deal with a dog thats cleverer than me!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2008, 01:18 PM
For me it would be the hairy breeds, I can't be doing with the grooming or the tumbleweeds.
Apart from that as long as the dogs are boisterous and lively size isn't too much of an issue and I don't even mind drool
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I wouldnt ever own any kind of bull breeds as they have the kind of strong willed temperament which isnt for me. Due to the size of most of them, they arent the most active of dogs and I like to go on marathon walks.

I would never consider any terrier as generally they are far too fiesty for my liking. I've had lots of bad experiences with GSD's too so would never opt for one of these.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Just to add, I'm always open to new ideas, but I never thought I would ever like some breeds, just because of how they look, but after meeting people here and seeing pictures of their dogs frequently and hearing about them, they have changed my mind and they 2 that spring to mind are ;

Borzois (I always thought they looked strange) but Eunice's dogs are absolutely stunning, and have changed my mind.

Poodles (I never thought a Poodle could look masculine) but Becky's Wilson and Cooper have put me right on that, as they too are stunning.

Never say never
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 03:17 PM
For me i would say no breeds bigger than a labrador with the possible exception of retreivers(as i consider them to be more or less the same dog with a different coat ),but being honest with myself i know i am not qualified enough to own say a rottie or a gsd , im too soft natured ,and nither would i be able to have a staffie , im not strong enough to stand out against the general believe rightly or wrongly that they are all bad tempered ,and it would really upset me if people in general judged my dog without knowing it , i have in the past had small breeds ,and find they give as much back as a big dog ,one thing is for sure what ever its size or breed i will always have at least one dog .hope i hav'nt rambled too much
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I don`t want to be too dogmatic about this because I know individual dogs can win your heart. I can`t warm to bull breeds as a rule, or very small ones, or ones with protuding eyes. Unfortunately, I`ve now just insulted an awful lot of staff / pug / toy dog owners! Sorry, guys.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm sure no-one will take it personally hon - here's hoping, anyway
Page 6 of 23 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »