Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by leo
the standard does include the dogs nature if a dog was shy or nervous in the ring it would go against the dog as it is showing that the dog is too shy for the breed standards.
a dog should be calm and confident enough for a stranger the judge to go over it physical with regards to the standard
plus regardless of the physical standards that a breed should be a steady and good natured dogs should only be used for breeding.
you could have a uk champ in the breed that conforms to the standards but it could be the nasty dog in the same breed as well i wouldn't use it for breeding.
It should, but does that actually happen? I get the feeling that to get into the situation some breeds are in with regards to temprement that judges are judging purely on looks and breed standard alone. Some are essentially playing god themselves and changing breed standards by picking out dogs with characteristics that they prefer instead of sticking to the standard set out.
I agree with Gems in that something needs to be done without removing the standard as a whole. But what that would be I have no idea. If judges don't listen now when will they?
I also agree with Amts in that I think a dog should be able to perform it's original function as well as being a show dog. It saddens me to see Labs and Springers looking so different and yet being from the same breed. Breeds split for a number of reasons, eg working Springers are preferred to be mainly white to enable them to be seen whilst working. Therefore more white dogs will work, gain their working titles and be bred from and so the cycle continues. Of course when it comes to showing this isn't taken into consideration, looks come first it would seem.

One dog that I love to watch being shown is the Siberian Husky, this is a breed that can easily compete in the show ring and with pulling a sled/rig. Something I think we could all learn from.

Ps. Don't think I'm against showing I know it's important to keep breeds seperate, just wish they looked the way they should!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 05:21 AM
I think what a lot of people are trying to say, is 'where do you stop', before the dog 'becomes' a different breed.
Most breeds have a height/weight standard. Do you think this should be got rid of totally? Or have another few inches added to it?
Surely if they relax the colour, thats just as bad. Some dogs are certain colours because of their job.(For example, Bullmastiffs were mostly Brindle when worked. Now they aren't worked, you don't see too many brindles.) If you then decide any colour is acceptable, you are getting further away from what the dog was supposed to be for originally.

*hides*
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

13-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Gems
You will have to excuse me ive had a bit to drink, but yes any size can do agility christine! so i am totally bemused as to where your comment about tj getting too big to do agility came from!!!
As I said Gems I was generalising & taking things to the extremes, I was also agreeing with op *If we didn't, we wouldn't have the wide range of breeds that we have today. If a collie ended up the size of a bullmastiff, it wouldn't be able to work the hills like we see today.*
I am generalising all breeds & just giving an example

If you allow the 3/4cm that you want to now, then another for a tail thats too long/short, then eyes that should be dark/light get alterest a little, these dogs will be used to breed & those traits will very quickly become established within those breeds & they will no longer look like we expect them too! Add to that unscrupulous breeders breeding.........
So were do you draw the line............
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Agree Leo, I have also known a few dogs in the show ring who's temperments can be a bit dodgy, IMO not the standard of dogs we need! So why are these dogs winning...? because they fit the standard of looks

I dont know where the line would be drawn because quite frankly i have no interest for showing. Of course it would be crazy to end up with breeds compleatly changing, but i just cant see a problem with allowing certain colours,eye colours, coat patterns, few cm's out of the 'standard'.

And i use standard lightly because what is a good standard of dog, who says that the dogs that win in the ring are the best of their breeds, all they have proved is they look good, but what is looks!

In an ideal world, dogs would be dogs, not judged against how they look, but if judged atall, judged on their abilities as hunters/workers etc, call me old fashioned but im a strong believer in working dogs, im not saying its wrong or creul not to work your dogs, before anyone takes offence!

At the end of the day this is JMHO I believe standards are too strict, i believe that dogs shouldnt be so harshly judged, tbh what does it prove? that beauty wins! We have lost the working ability of so many great breeds over the years, and its all through vanity... sorry thats just how i feel
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gems
And i use standard lightly because what is a good standard of dog, who says that the dogs that win in the ring are the best of their breeds, all they have proved is they look good, but what is looks!
Conformation, gait, temperament, are all looked at as closely as the shiny, well-groomed coat, the bright eyes, the white teeth, the perfect stack. Whether or not one feels that Standards are correct regarding outward appearance, a good judge will look beyond the superficial and will bear in mind the original purpose of the breed and how the dogs before him meet all the criteria that the Breed Clubs & breeders deem appropriate to the breed and which they strive to achieve. If you show under a good, knowledgeable judge it is not always a beauty contest.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:44 AM
I agree SB a good judge will look further than outward appearences, but IMO i dont think all do

I just have a major problem with people striving to produce the perfect dog and doing anything to do so, nobody and no dog is perfect, i guess i do see it as a beauty contest, and i cant help feeling that way..
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

13-08-2005, 08:47 AM
But Gems a lot of people do like showing & why not, it would only be your idea of an ideal world if dogs weren`t judged on looks And dogs being dogs, well left to theri own devices I don`t think most of em would do what we`d want, least mine wouldn`t But saying that, even tho I don`t work mine they still go n hunt moles, birds anything that moves really
Also a lot of people want a certain breed of dog for companionship they don`t get worked at all, maybe looks don`t come into it there but they have a right to have their chosen breed conforming to certain standards don`t you think
And whats so wrong with beauty, its always been admired throughout the ages, its human nature
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

13-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Exactely S/B
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Christine i know people love showing, thats fine, i just have no interest in it
Im not having a stab at anyone who shows, everyone has their own choice!

Whats wrong with beauty..? absolutely nothing, but being judged and people having the idea that the most appealing on the eye is the best, is IMO not what should be important..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Allowing for an alteration in breed hights

When talking of allowing a tolerance in breed height people are not taking into account breeds with differing sizes, and there are quite a few of these my own included.

Miniature schnauzer:
Max height of Dogs 14 ins , Bitches 13ins, there is no minimum but "Too small, toyish appearing dogs are not typical and undesirable"

Standandard Schnauzers:
Dogs 19 ins Bitches 18 ins there is a 1inch tolerance either way.

Giant Schnauzers :
Dogs 25.50-27.50ins Bitches: 23.50-25.50ins Variations outside these limits undesirable.

If you start altering the tolerances allowed in these breeds you will lose the clear definition of each breed and will not be able to tell if you have before you a tall Miniature or a short Standard.

In other breeds reducing the height allowed will result in 'toyishness' ..increase it the dogs become 'leggy'
In many breeds of dogs height played a part in there original purpose..e.g. the size of rabbit holes needed a small dog of a certain size..if the dog was too big it would get stuck, if too small it would not have the same strength. With gundogs for instances the differing heights of dogs breeds were used for a specific purposes e.g.. the taller long legged dogs (like pointers/setters ) standing proud of the dense undergrowth to 'point' the birds , the smaller long eared dogs (like cockers/springers with their ears and lower bodies protected by thick coat ) used to go into the dense undergrowth to flush out the birds, the stronger taller more sturdy dogs (like labs/retrievers ) doing the retrieval.

Having a breed standard is not just about showing, it is about preserving the integrity of a breed, start altering the breed standards and we risk destroying the very nature of some breeds completely.

The breed standard and showing dogs
Showing dogs is not a beauty contest, it is.....
... meeting other people who share your love of a particular breed,
... comparing dogs and seeing if they meet the requirements of the breed standard,
... viewing breed lines and prospective stud dogs.
The winning of prizes at a show is incidental and winning is just an indication of whose dog on that day in the opinion of one judge best complies with the breed standard. That is why you need three challenge certificates to be a champion, it is not just the opinion of one person but at least three who have applied their interpretation the breed standard.
Page 7 of 24 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »