View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't "get" obedience (and maybe some other things too), but live and let live and all that.

I don't "get"showing either, but what makes me dislike it is that it is deemed necessary to force the dog into an unnatural stance:

I also find it ridiculous that a dog with a relatively high hip score (above average) can be classed as a "champion" - and then given some kind of prestige to be bred from.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-01-2011, 11:50 PM
i just dont get the whole breeding thing

im having enough trouble getting my head around the whole biology thing that my fiance is carrying a baby inside her stomach that is mine.....ewwww.

the thought of seeing all that gooey stuff and things popping out of orifices in the next few days is soiling my head...

......so as for going out of your way to have that all go on under your roof with a different species....just not right!

sure, give them to me when they can jump, shout, bite you and pull funny faces (babes and pups).
but not all that squinty squashed stumpy stuff, no thanx.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Krusewalker - It can be an amazing experience, and well worth it when you have bred a puppy that is succeeding in the area it was bred for.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:11 AM
I agree about flyball can get competive, and the dogs can get hyped.
However I do 'fun' flyball with Bruce, he loves it, but then he's very fast and loves to jump (show off)
I did try the more serious team flyball at first and I got alot of hassle from a particular Brummie Team for him to be a member as they said he was ''fast'' but when we went I found it all so 'demanding' and time consumming talk about dogs being competitive....wow they have nothing on the owners
I much prefer the 'just for abit of fun' one, they do not compete and it really is just for fun when you can manage it.
Honestly I have no real dislike of anything as long as the dog/s are not forced into it and enjoy doing it
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2011, 12:13 AM
it still starts off as some alien interloper inside a stomach that gooes out as some ill formed squinted squashed mutant thingy....ewww, the thought of it makes me shudder.

and the whole notion of studding and mating...just why would you want to organise and then watch that!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
it still starts off as some alien interloper inside a stomach that gooes out as some ill formed squinted squashed mutant thingy....ewww, the thought of it makes me shudder.

and the whole notion of studding and mating...just why would you want to organise and then watch that!
You do make it sound so appealing.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm not a huge fan of frisbee/disc dogs. It makes me cringe to see them make those hard landings. *ouch* Clearly the dogs love it, and I imagine its fine in moderation. But you have to practice an awful lot to be competitive in Frisbee (I guess, i don't know for sure)

I also feel this way about people who over train and over compete in agility (or any sport really, but I see it lots on agility) so much that they run their dogs into the ground and they are crippled at a young age. We have a trainer in our area that always wins at top levels but she has five at last count retired dogs of a young age and two of them are in wheel chairs.

So I guess its not the sport itself I disagree with, but when the handlers get so obsessed about winning they lose sight of the well being of their dog.

I have to say I agree with Tassle, I love to train but hate to compete. Its about the bonding experience more than anything. For me.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:22 AM
With regard to "precision" for top end obedience.

That is what i like about it

To train to that level & to keep a dog HAPPY & motivated with drive & style to compete & be competitive, with being OTT, is no mean feat.

I dont find that boring, i find it fascinating!!!!!To have Drive & want & precision& control!!!!!!!! THAT is what ticks my boxes!!!!!

Breaking the exercises down to little bits. Eg Recall, with wait, recall, present, finish. I train about 10 different technicalities on this, & STILL have to keep the recall fast keen but with a totally solid wait.

Loads of people find that boring.....a sits a sit. why worry. Well yes a sit is a sit, so lets use our training skills to make that sit perfect & fAbulous!!!!!!

Attention to detail!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I dont really "get " people not wanting to do anything with their dogs,
My dogs are "pets" over the winter, long walks etc etc......im like nice but a few months is long enough, wouldnt want to be just walking, forever!

I love to watch them splash about in rivers, chase in fieldsetc......but if i ask 1 of them to work, they all stop chasing & want to work with me! even the retired ones.

I think its bcause i liketo be "involved" , like i cant chase with them or swim with them, only watch, & i dont like to be a spectator in my dogs life!

Im also competitive!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Krusewalker - It can be an amazing experience, and well worth it when you have bred a puppy that is succeeding in the area it was bred for.
This is what I don't get (sorry to use your post DD as is not aimed at you, just a good example) - breeding for looks/showing.

But then look, I never will. I like scruffy springers (yes I know mine turned out to be a pretty boy ;o) who charge about grinning form ear to ear in the mud and come home with wilderness in their ears (see my picture thread).
Page 6 of 24 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »