Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Ripped Dew Claw

Hi wondering if someone can give me some advice:

Took my dog out to one of our usual walks earlier which is all fields mainly. To cut a long story short, she saw a hare and made chase and very nearly caught it too (never seen her run so fast it was amazing!) anyway when she returned to me i noticed blood and saw that she had ripped one of her dew claws, its not entirely gone just part of it has been ripped away, probably where she was twisting and turning chasing the hare. How do i treat this, bathe in antiseptic ? i will see how it is tommorrow and take her to the vet. Any advice please ?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Pharaoh has done this on more than one occasion... Different people will give you different advice and if you are at all worried you should consult your vet..

Dissolve some salt in warm water and bathe the wound regularly. Just keep an eye on it and provided it doesn't swell, or discharge any liquid of any other colour than blood and clear, she'll probably be fine... If she keeps licking incessantly and bothering it, you could loosely wrap a bandage around it to stop the licking...

But it will be much better if you can just keep it clean and open... They heal pretty fast

Vet will give her an anti inflammatory and antibiotics and send her home most likely
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Magpye - i've got some Metacam would that be ok to give or not unless vet says ?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:54 PM
If it was prescribed for her before it should be fine in the same dose as last time... but not if you're going to take to the vet as well as it may double up whatever they do...
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Ok thanks for your advice x
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Mandy had that recently. The vet tugged off the remaining dew claw (yelp!) and cauterised the site (more yelps). It was pretty grim and smelt awful but it did the trick.

Mandy got loads of cuddles and treats!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Bryan ripped his dew claw too. The vet nurse pulled it off and bandaged it up. He was fine after a few days though.

Sometimes the little bone that is inside gets broken - that's why we took him to the vets when he did it. If that's the case they can remove the whole dew claw and bone.

Hope your pooch is ok x
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 01:10 PM
That sounds grim - i'll have to see how she is and take her tommorrow, it doesn't seem to be bothering her but when i bathed it she did whinge a bit but greyhounds are known to be wimps ! thanks