View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm inclined to disagree with the use of a crate during the day - he's left for 12 hours - that's way too long to leave an active young dog in a crate regardless of whether he's causing damage.

As I suggested before, get hold of some pen panels and put them around the outside of the room, get some clips as has been suggested for cupboards and fridge and a kong dispenser that will hold four of them and let them out at timed intervals.

He needs someone to come in during the day. Very few dogs would be ok to be left for 12 hours, let alone a single dalmatian junior dog.

He's bored stiff and as you've said he does this soon after you leave, it does sound like separation anxiety to me.

He's used to going to creche and having full on attention and now he's got nothing - he's left on his own with toys that quite frankly, are boring when there's nobody to play with them.

I know money is an issue and you have to work, but it's not fair to just stop him destroying everything, be it using pen panels or an outdoor kennel and not deal with the real problem.

Put adverts up in your local shops etc for someone to come in and walk him, if you get to know the person before you allow them to take the job and you decide to keep him outside in a kennel then they needn't have access to the house and your belongings and you could consider going for a genuine animal lover whether they have insurance and CRB check or not and therefore may get a cheaper deal than someone who has to pay out for insurance etc.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I had labs that suffered from SA, and they were "only" alone for 7 hours.

I rehomed them in the end, as it just wasn't fair on them.

It broke my heart, but I had to put them first.....

Twelve hours is such a long time.....

*Hugs*
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Cesar Milan Xxxx
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

And mistyblue - the crate is OK at night because you are there and they are sleeping - you have to be able the hear if they need out else they could get distressed
ahh yeh i guess! roggie is in a playpen it a travel one to its not like it is huge but he can move about a bit if he wanted to & that is next to my bed!

Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
Cesar Milan Xxxx
his not a 'naughty' dog though he is distrressed, wouldnt let that bloke near my dog with a barge poll, plus i wouldnt need him! i train my dog!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Oh I didnt realise it was 12 hours
That is way to long - sorry I know its difficult and we need to work but that is not right for the dog
is the destruction when you just leave?? ie if you go out and come back 5 min later has he started to destroy things? if so then that is SA which it would be best to get help to fix
if he is OK for short periods but only distructive when you are out at work then its just boredom
I totaly agree either way you really need someone to let him out in the middle of the day
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:00 AM
My ex is going to be coming round at 6pm to be with him until I come home, I've just got this sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach that unless I can find another job, or more money - I'm going to lose him.

I adore this dog with all my heart, but I can see its cruel. I don't understand why when things start to go right for me something else has to get in the way. I feel utterly miserable.

Caesar Millan....no way!

PS. I literally have no money, I can't explain to you how broke I am. I got paid on the 15th and my rent bills etc have all gone out, and Icon has a big bag of food and bones etc for the month.....got my travel expenses set aside, and I have £50 for food for the month....I am struggling so much.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:26 AM
oh hun i am sorry, keep your chin up you are doing every thing you can and it will get better just keep on going, do every thing people have said to try, you wont lose your baby it will just take a bit of time but you will get there, we are all here for you hun. xxx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Lorna, is it separation anxiety as opposed to separation fun. i ask as breaking into the fridge isnt usually a symptom of sep anx, as with anxiety the appetite is usually supressed.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 11:00 AM
poor you, its not nice to be so skint - I know
But it will get better
is there any nice kids that live close by that would be trusted to dogwalk?? I know a few in our area do it
or a friend or someone with a dog close by who would be willing to help out till you get back on your feet
Glad your ex is comming round - that will help
It will be OK, in the meantime dog secure your room - put away anything and lock up the fridge. Pick up his toys and only give him one at a time so they become more exciting and freeze kongs and stuff so he has something to do
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a dog who used to have SA (he`s OK now because he`s too old and gaga to notice!) but he`s OK with another dog in the house - it`s being alone that panics them, which after all is not a natural condition for a dog. However IMO, caging (play-pen / dog-proof room / crate - call it what you will, it`s still a cage) for 12 hours will not `cure` the dog. I would imagine the outcome would be self-harm or depression. . Have you considered asking if anyone can foster this dog till you are in a better position to look after him?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >