Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 01:48 AM

Working trials and starting off.

Hi all

I'm looking to take on 2 (in sept)yr old gsd and i'd like to train him for recognised dog handler quals. However i think working trials would be a good start and would give us something to focus on and hopefully get to know a few people in the process.

Do you think a 2 yr old will start off at beginner level or am i wasting my time - or maybe hoping for a miracle?

Also is there anyone in Scotland that does working trials - i know there is a club in Dundee - anywhere else? Does anyone on the site train at Dundee or anywhere else in Scotland (i'm in fife, so relatively close to there).

Thanks. Linda
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am also looking to start working trials with a young adult gsd, so I'll be following this thread with interest!

Edited to add: I am also in Scotland
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 10:04 AM
It may still be a bit far away for you but there's working trials training at Vogrie Country Park near Pathhead, Mid Lothian.

They meet on the 1st Sunday of the month at about 1pm, just beside the car park. Look for people with dogs

I've been along once and know someone who goes. They're a friendly lot and trying to encourage more people to get involved. There were quite a few GSDs and since you can't start before 18 months, 2 years sounds a good age.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 12:01 PM
You both should have your dogs hip scored(unless they are already done)before considering starting any WT or Schutzhund training

You might want to contact the BAGSD VPG or Schutzhund groups if you are interested in Schutzhund
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks Dales mum - i'll have a look and check distance - i know that a lot of people will travel 4 hours to train at a good club.

Hi JoedeeUK - Thank you also. I go to a schutzhund club at Stirling when work allows (not that often at the mo) and they are brilliant Very friendly and knowledgeable and they do a lot of competing. My leo thinks it is fun
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am also looking to start working trials with a young adult gsd, so I'll be following this thread with interest!

Edited to add: I am also in Scotland
Hi again skilaki

Is Vogrie country park anywhere near you? Maybe we could arrange to go and have a looksee when we can both get time?

Linda
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 09:59 AM
K9xxb, I've PM'ed you.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Linda, Skilaki, here is the contacts for the Scottish working trial Ass, they should know where the clubs are for you

Secretary Mrs Carol Russell.

Tel 01360 770285

Treasurer Mrs Anne Bedford

Tel 01896 822619
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Workinggsd - Thank you very much