register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: National service reintroduction ?
in favour 26 68.42%
not infavour 8 21.05%
undecided 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
So the army gets to train them and yet can't send them to war, what's in it for the army?
As for many parents not being interested in doing a proper job on bringing up decent respectful children then maybe those parents should be the ones being given national service.
Re: parents not doing a proper job bringing up their children, perhaps if they had done national service they would be different parents.
Society in the UK has went downhill IMO, youngsters are caught in a downward spiral, some do want to get jobs but the majority don't, remember, these ones will be the parents of future children and so it will go on and on.

National service could perhaps break that downward spiral, give them a sense of responsibility and accountability, nowadays all they want to do is have a good time on state benefits.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 01:02 AM
What about a scheme where youngsters who leave school and get a job,apprenticeships etc get allowed to do so and not do national service but all those who don't want to work or have failed to attend school get pulled in.Then all youngsters aren't being tarred with the same brush,xxxxxxxxx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 01:29 AM
One of the problems in many areas of Britain is young people have low self esteem. All their future holds is what they see around them which is the benefit system. Maybe by having some form of National Service would let them see there is more to life, teach them discipline and a work ethic.
I have 3 boys who are all (so far) well adjusted, polite children but still feel they would gain more than they would lose in taking a year out of their chosen path.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 01:56 AM
What about if I said all dogs be required to do ringcraft training? Sure, it might have nothing to do with what you want to do with your dog, but it teaches the dog skills doesn't it? Equally, national service might teach a few lessons but I find it hard to believe those skills can't be learnt through other avenues.

The problem with teenagers is very like what happens with bull breeds. The media focuses on the bad, many people would be surprised were they to go into a classroom full of teenagers.

Originally Posted by boobah View Post
What about a scheme where youngsters who leave school and get a job,apprenticeships etc get allowed to do so and not do national service but all those who don't want to work or have failed to attend school get pulled in.Then all youngsters aren't being tarred with the same brush,xxxxxxxxx
I like the sound of that, I can see many getting a job sharpish!

Can anyone tell I like to compare things to situations involving dogs?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
That's funny because a once very good friend of mine (whom lived on benefits and had 3 kids by two different Fathers) had all of the above done?! Her whole garden was renovated, her driveway was repaved so she could park her car on it, the kitchen was ripped out and replaced with a new one, her gas and electric bills were reduced and I'm pretty sure her council tak was at reduced rate?

So how is that possible? This all happened whilst I was still friends with her - it is fact, I was there, she did not pay a penny!

Just thought I'd clear that up!
Council tax is reduced, which is why I didnt includ it.

As I said they will renovate to keep up the condition of THEIR housing stock so it wont devalue, it's not done as a favour to the tennant in the manner you think ! It's for the Council's benefit to maintain their own properties.

And no, gas and electricity bills cannot be reduced as the Councils or Housing Associations have no such deals with them, they are independant suppliers and have not and will not reduce rates for different incomes or circumstances. They never have, so maybe your friend was talking about a payment plan with them, which spreads the cost, but they certainly will not 'reduce' the bill for ANYONE, regardless of what property they live in.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Council tax is reduced, which is why I didnt includ it.

As I said they will renovate to keep up the condition of THEIR housing stock so it wont devalue, it's not done as a favour to the tennant in the manner you think ! It's for the Council's benefit to maintain their own properties.

And no, gas and electricity bills cannot be reduced as the Councils or Housing Associations have no such deals with them, they are independant suppliers and have not and will not reduce rates for different incomes or circumstances. They never have, so maybe your friend was talking about a payment plan with them, which spreads the cost, but they certainly will not 'reduce' the bill for ANYONE, regardless of what property they live in.
With all due respect, you can say what you like - I was there, I saw what they did to her house (as previously stated), she paid reduced council tax, electric bills, gas bills etc. I never said it was done as her favour to her, only the work that was actually carried out on the property! And trust me it was substantial work!!!!

Call me a liar, whatever, I'm really not fussed, but as I said - I was there and saw the reduced bills! It happened, it's a fact.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:16 AM
With all due respect, you can say what you like - I was there, I saw what they did to her house (as previously stated), she paid reduced council tax, electric bills, gas bills etc. I never said it was done as her favour to her, only the work that was actually carried out on the property! And trust me it was substantial work!!!!

Call me a liar, whatever, I'm really not fussed, but as I said - I was there and saw the reduced bills! It happened, it's a fact.
I never said you were a liar, I agreed regarding the Council work as it is often done, including new windows etc, and the Council Tax. Those that are on benefits get Reduced Council Tax, that too I didn't challenge.

I did challenge the standard service bills as I know they will not do that for anyone. When I worked for a large Charity, I worked closely with the Councils because of the Clients and with service suppliers etc, and they accept no excuses for any reason. Like I said, maybe her bill looked reduced, when actually they had a pre-arranged installment plan, where they send out many much smaller bills, therefore making them look reduced. What you saw and what your friend maybe tried to make you believe was that she was being given preferantial treatment when she may not have understood the payment plan herself or misconstrued what they were doing regarding her bill.

They never reduce bills, but in cases where a bill has mounted up, and the client cannot pay, they instead install a prepayment meter, where you have a pay as you go system, instead of being billed, and pay a small amount on top to cover the debt, and this has been in place for many, many years and is something they introduced so that they could tag those that run up bills without paying.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I never said you were a liar, I agreed regarding the Council work as it is often done, including new windows etc, and the Council Tax. Those that are on benefits get Reduced Council Tax, that too I didn't challenge.

I did challenge the standard service bills as I know they will not do that for anyone. When I worked for a large Charity, I worked closely with the Councils because of the Clients and with service suppliers etc, and they accept no excuses for any reason. Like I said, maybe her bill looked reduced, when actually they had a pre-arranged installment plan, where they send out many much smaller bills, therefore making them look reduced. What you saw and what your friend maybe tried to make you believe was that she was being given preferantial treatment when she may not have understood the payment plan herself or misconstrued what they were doing regarding her bill.

They never reduce bills, but in cases where a bill has mounted up, and the client cannot pay, they instead install a prepayment meter, where you have a pay as you go system, instead of being billed, and pay a small amount on top to cover the debt, and this has been in place for many, many years and is something they introduced so that they could tag those that run up bills without paying.
Sorry, but no. She paid less than those who worked and therefore would've paid in full - it showed as a percentage on her bill. Simple. She was on no PAYG scheme. She was a single parent with 2 very young children at the time, no work and therefore no income.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Well this is the way I see it, I dont know rips mate so I dont know what the details are, but knowing how councils differ wildly across the country, even different areas under the same council can differ. It would be fiesible that something may have happend like that, it doesnt mean it still does.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Sorry, but no. She paid less than those who worked and therefore would've paid in full - it showed as a percentage on her bill. Simple. She was on no PAYG scheme. She was a single parent with 2 very young children at the time, no work and therefore no income.
When was this ? because if it was after their new system regs came in, I would still challenge it now, as its not policy and their own systems won't allow personal cicrumstances to be taken into account !
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >