register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: National service reintroduction ?
in favour 26 68.42%
not infavour 8 21.05%
undecided 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
So the army gets to train them and yet can't send them to war, what's in it for the army?
As for many parents not being interested in doing a proper job on bringing up decent respectful children then maybe those parents should be the ones being given national service.
Perhaps not the army then, more of a compulsory training course for wayward yobs?!
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
What about all the kids who are working hard, behaving themselves and look as if they have worthwhile/successful careers developing?.

So may posters on here seem to be stereo-typing teenagers(My daughters words by the way)
See above!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Love that idea Trouble........
I am so fed up with young people being blamed for every thing that's wrong with society today.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Must need some sleep Ripss but did not get the last comment above?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Training is what I would expect it to be. I said in the other thread there should be a form of training for kids who wish to leave school at 15. It does not matter if they are polite and well mannered, it also teaches alot of other skills that could be used in other jobs and situations.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Training is what I would expect it to be. I said in the other thread there should be a form of training for kids who wish to leave school at 15. It does not matter if they are polite and well mannered, it also teaches alot of other skills that could be used in other jobs and situations.
It's called getting a job, it works.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I don`t disagree with offering training to kids who want to leave school at 15 but I do object to all children of a certain age being forced to follow a certain path in life.

National service is a compulsory length of time spent within the services......maybe we should be discussing post 15 work experience and job preparation?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes, and everyone with a job is responsable and every job teaches basics.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Must need some sleep Ripss but did not get the last comment above?
Yep you need some sleep! All I meant was the post I wrote above your quote also counted in answering you post! Bet you get it now don't ya!

But that's just the problem, it doesn't, does it?! So many young people these days have just got into the habit of living off the state, cos it's their "right"?!! I really can't see the harm in national service for those who don't want to contribute to society!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Yes, and everyone with a job is responsable and every job teaches basics.
No but it's better than being forced into staying at school until they're 18, which is what this dopey government wants.
It also usually means they have no interest in hanging around on street corners anymore, having money in your pocket gives you choices. As for teaching basics, basics in what?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:42 PM
So If My brain is awake Rips you are actually advocating a
compulsory training course for wayward yobs?!

Not National service for all but national service for those who don't want to contribute to society!

Surely this is not national service as meant by the OP? This is a different thing altogether. A training scheme which kicked in after a certain number of months unemployed which was either taken as voluntary service or was connected with the services might be a more acceptable idea.
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »