Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Rehoming dogs...

just a question really....

if you live in a flat, with no access to a garden except a roof area with some concrete, and you work full time (50hours+) - would a rescue centre/rehoming centre let you adopt a dog???

obviously not me lol - but i was just wondering.. thanks

pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I think the working hours would be a problem, unless obviously some provision is made during the day i.e dog walker coming in. Without a garden as well, you wouldn't be able to have say a dog flap for the dog to be able to go out during the day for a wee. I don't think any dog, let alone a rescue dog would do well under these cirumstances.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 07:22 PM
The Rspca come and expect your property and unless you have a garden thats enclosed you dont get a dog.( or at least this was the rule)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I had a dog from the bule cross when i was in a similar position. we had no garden and worked full time but my then husband worked for the right of way department in the council so the dog would be able to go to work with him full time.

The RSPCA said no unless they could inspect the work area and it was adequately fenced.....we explained it was a quarter of Hampshire but they still said they would have to inspect it and it would have to be fenced!!!

Luckily the Blue cross was far more sensible, came and looked at our flat, talked to us and then suggested two dogs that might suit us.

In the end we had a ten year old fox hound crosss who had had four homes before us and had been badly treated. He fitted in really well and I had in for another ten years amazingly!!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I found to get a rescue dog (we live in a flat) we had to find a small rescue who checked us out with no preconceptions. Working part time was not a problem to them but they would not let a dog go to someone working full time.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Would you rehome in these circumstances? I`m not sure I would - but we`ve only heard the `cons` - what are the `pros`?
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
The Rspca come and expect your property and unless you have a garden thats enclosed you dont get a dog.( or at least this was the rule)
This is still the case, as I adopted Pippa from the RSPCA 2 weeks ago but first they came to check I had a fenced in garden.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 11:49 AM
this is this pillock who wants the GSD - ive had asmall break through as to getting him to 'research' and go to the rSPCA to ask about rehoming

sadly for him, i know the person who runs it so im going to have a little word in her ear....
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 12:03 PM
As I have said we have two dogs in a flat, wouldn't have a big dog though like a GSD, Mollie is nearer to collie sized and would be my persoanl limit to size.

Would I rehome to them ? not if they worked full time unless they could prove they have sysyems in place to walk a dog when they aren't there.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 03:41 PM
thats the problem julie - he dosent

personally i woludnt buy/rehome a breed of dog such as a working breed - that didnt have either lots of walks - or and access to some sort of garden area when they wanted etc....

he cant do either of these things so i personally wouldnt even let him have a chihuahua... (exercise wise)

he'd probably kill a goldfish....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >