View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Difficult..most difficult. I've had and got (ralph!) dogs that are super friendly, love every other dog and just want too play...then the contrast i've had dogs that totally can't stand strange canines, Polly was one of these.
If another dog approached she would be lunging, snarling, yelping, whinging etc and the only way too stop her was to pick her up and carry her off (usually ended in my hands being torn to ribbons!) but that was the way of walkies for many years. This is going to sound iffy but i couldn't and still can't stand when other dogs i don't know come over too us, its just a thing i have.
Nowdays on walkies its quite laid back...both off the lead and doing there thing (we walk the Sowe Valley-most remote!) if another dog is coming our way i call both dogs back and wait for the other dog too pass...depending on how i feel about the situation i sometimes put the leads back on, but usually i just tell Ralph to lie down n stay and he shall, but have a grip on Florrie's collar as she is a typical terrier and bears no fear and she can often behave strangley around other dogs-not aggressive, but just 'abnormal'!
I guess in many people on heres eyes i would be seen as one of "those" dog walkers-but frankly, i would rather be over cautious then end up with a fight (or maybe worse) happening before me and involving one of my dogs getting hurt.
Also..when i had Polly my instinctive response when another dog came near was to pick her up...with good reason too! It really used to get right up my nose when people with a big dog, say a retriever, would shout over "Its ok he/she is fine with other dogs!" and i would respond "Its not your dog i'm worried about" n they would laugh and think i was joking-seriouslly think sometimes people think cause small dogs are small that they are all lovely and sweet n sugar
I am rambling now..and am getting onto my soapbox so will stop now
In general i think with other dog walkers to take everything with a pinch of salt as we never know anything about their dog-it may have an illness, may be other dogphobic, may be dog aggressive, may very well be people aggresive-the list is endless really!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
me too i pick my dog up if inthink its in danger-whats your problem with that ??????
This is one of the reasons I haven't posted here for ages either you have not read the post properly or you are deliberately being aggressive - If you read the post I don't say I have a problem with picking dogs up if they are in danger !! Why do you think I have a problem with it ?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Julie I think Zetacharlie has either misread your post OR quoted the wrong persons post. Easily done.

Can I just say I used to advise my mother to pick up her little dog when other dogs off lead dogs approached (he could be aggressive) until one day when an aggressive terrier (off lead) jumped up at my mothers dog in her arms and all hell broke loose because the off lead dog bit my mother badly.

Its a difficult situation as other posters have said.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
what's a massive boxer? My two NI tower over boxers I think when Freya (your NI) gets full grown it wont look so massive!
This was a 'Massive' boxer.. bigger than any i have ever seen.. his head was like that of a LARGE rottie..

It was the screaming from Freya.. that freaked me out.. never heard a dog scream like that.. Now i have a hell of a job.. whenever she sees another dog. At puppy classes.. it`s a nightmare.. she quakes behind me in a corner.. we don`t walk.. i have to drag. We are spending so much time and effort sociallising her.. with other people and dogs... she was fine before this incident
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I didn't mean this to turn into a rant, sorry

I myself have a small dog, a mini Dacchie, who at the time was sat nicely by my side, as were the other 2.

I didn't yell over "it's ok she's friendly", I was productively trying to get her back, the whole incident lasted all of about 2 minutes. I can see what people are getting at, but
sometimes it's not just arrogance on the 'bad' owners point.

Everyone can't be perfect 100% of the time, I just posted because I thought the other owner was over reacting, and if she didn't, Maddy would most likely have returned to me straight away.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Know what you mean, if the other owner over reacts it gets really exciting for your dog, all recall is forgotten as it miles too exciting for them to listen to you over there!!!!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Everyone can't be perfect 100% of the time, I just posted because I thought the other owner was over reacting, and if she didn't, Maddy would most likely have returned to me straight away.

Totally agree.
Teagan is good most of the time, but does have a 'naughty' moment, when she goes deaf, and won't listen.
I'm sure a lot of other dogs do too!

I agree, some people can over react.
A polite "Could you please get your dog, mine is a bit scared", would do!

Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
I also agree picking a small dog up when approached by an off-lead dog is also a bad idea as it excites a dog wanting to play, but what best to do is hard. I used to get down with my small dog if this happened so I could protect them and monitor friendly sniffing!
From what i've seen, it's doing exactly that, which makes the little dogs get agressive and yappy, as they pick up on the owners feeling (being scared/nervous/apprehensive).
I have a big, and a little dog (Bullmastiff, and Yorkshire Terrier). I can honestly say, i've NEVER picked my yorkie up when another dog has approached.
He doesn't yap, or try and attack other dogs like a lot of little dogs do.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
This was a 'Massive' boxer.. bigger than any i have ever seen.. his head was like that of a LARGE rottie..

It was the screaming from Freya.. that freaked me out.. never heard a dog scream like that.. Now i have a hell of a job.. whenever she sees another dog. At puppy classes.. it`s a nightmare.. she quakes behind me in a corner.. we don`t walk.. i have to drag. We are spending so much time and effort sociallising her.. with other people and dogs... she was fine before this incident
Hi Janie...How old was Freya at the time?...Keena (also NI) used to really yelp as a young pup at the mere site of other dogs...It looked really odd a few times when little dogs the size of just her head could scare her so badly and she would yelp / scream really loud. With her like this, so long as I knew she was in no danger at all, we just tended to ignore it...We didn't force her into situations but if we did meet a dog I never picked her up or even gave her acknowledgement if she panicked...It felt harsh but within a month or so she was cured and became so confident around other dogs to where she is the most confident and self assured dog I know with all other dogs. Other owners who watched her transformation over the weeks were amazed. I would say by 5 months old she was fine and we have never looked back since.
clairetaylor89
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:55 AM
aww. what a shame. Dont let it bother you though. Im sure the women knows the difference between a dog wanting to play and an agressive dog.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Sounds as if the woman should be on medication. Keep clear !
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >